Accounting Technician, Finance
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Finance Department/Tax Office is responsible for the collection of property taxes, dog licensing, and the collection of transient room tax revenue in the unincorporated area of the County. The department also receipts in all revenue for land sales, LID's, and invoices billed throughout the County.
ABOUT THE COUNTY:
We know where you choose to live, work and play matters. Deschutes County is one of the largest employers in Central Oregon and the largest municipal government in the region. Our dedicated and passionate workforce of more than 1,200 employees provide County services in a number of departments, divisions, and offices.
Located in the heart of Central Oregon, between the towering Cascade Mountain Range to the west and the high desert plateau to the east, Deschutes County is the outdoor recreation capital of Oregon. We enjoy a renowned quality of life, with big-city opportunities and small-town neighborhoods.
We hope you'll consider joining our talented team.
ABOUT THE JOB:
This position is responsible for performing general accounting and financial transactions, maintaining and producing financial information, and providing customer service and administrative support duties for the Finance Department.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and monitoring financial information for transient room and property taxes or other types of financial information.
- Calculating property tax prepays in coordination with the Assessor's Office and maintaining prepay records throughout the year.
- Processing payments for property tax collections and transient room tax, balancing tills, and processing remote deposits to bank.
- Maintaining addresses on all property and transient room tax accounts.
- Performing research and collecting, compiling, and organizing data for administrative and annual review.
- Reconciling accounts, collecting payments, processing deposits, and processing writs to garnish taxpayers' bank accounts or employers.
- Issuing collection warrants on personal property tax accounts and releasing them when paid
- Processing dog licenses.
- Maintaining bankruptcy files and issuing proof-of-claim when needed.
What You Will Bring:
Knowledge of or experience with:
- Customer service standards and protocols.
- Accounting and bookkeeping principles and methods.
- Cash handling procedures.
- Entering information and producing reports.
- Reconciling accounts, collecting payments, processing deposits, and processing.
- Collecting, compiling, and disseminating financial data.
- Performing related clerical duties.
- Paying close attention to detail.
*This posting is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but rather constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function.
Notification to all candidates will be sent via email and/or text only. Please opt in for text messaging or check your email and your Governmentjobs.com account for application status
Additional information regarding the position may be found clicking here .
$4,037.40 to $5,410.49 per month for a 172.67 hour work month. Excellent County benefit package when eligible. This union-represented position is available immediately.
Our robust health plan is offered at a minimal cost of $90 per month, which includes an innovative on-site clinic, pharmacy, and wellness and wellbeing services. Additionally, we include life insurance, retirement (PERS), generous paid time-off (14-18 hours/month to start, pro-rated for part-time), holidays, and professional development opportunities.
Please click HERE for full benefit details.
- Associate's degree in Accounting or related field;
- AND two (2) years of accounting experience;
- OR any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills and knowledge to perform the job.
Necessary Special Requirements
The employment offer will be contingent upon pre-employment screening for criminal history and controlled substances (NOTE: Positive test results for marijuana use may result in rescission of a contingent offer of employment). These screenings must be completed with satisfactory findings in order for a formal offer of employment to be extended.
Excellent County benefit package when eligible.
Deschutes County offers eligible employees a comprehensive health care package that covers medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents at a minimal cost of $90 per month. Coverage becomes effective the first of the month following 1 month of employment. Included in the health care package is the Deschutes Onsite Clinic (DOC), which provides a wide range of health, wellness, and primary care services to employees and their dependents. The DOC offers convenient hours and no out-of-pocket costs to patients. The DOC Pharmacy is a full service pharmacy available to employees and dependents to have their prescriptions filled at a discounted co-pay. In addition to the health care package, Deschutes County provides a generous and comprehensive benefits program to eligible employees.
Employer paid benefit offerings include:
- Life Insurance for employee and dependents
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement Program through Oregon PERS
- Time Management Leave
Employee paid voluntary benefit offerings include:
- 125 Flexible Spending Program
- 457 Deferred Compensation Program
- Supplemental Life and Accident Insurance
To learn more about Deschutes County's generous benefit offerings, please visit www.deschutes.org/hr and click on Employee Benefits.
Closing Date/Time: 5/23/2023 11:59 PM Pacific