Administrative Specialist II – Office of the Chief Administrative Officer
Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
The Office of Management and Finance's Business Operations group is hiring an Administrative Specialist II for The Chief Administrative Officer!
Business Operations is a diverse workplace that encourages collaboration, creativity and innovation in solving problems. Business Operations strives to foster a positive work environment in which employees can grow professionally and contribute to the success of the organization.
The Administrative Specialist II is part of the Administrative Team responsible for assisting in the administration of several OMF programs; keeping records related to these programs; and working with hiring managers to ensure bureau-level processes comply with applicable rules. The work requires adherence to City and Bureau policies and procedures and the ability to accurately perform time sensitive work. The Administrative Specialist II is responsible for processing transactions in the program areas assigned; preparing status and management information reports as needed; tracking steps in administrative processes; and communicating to a wide variety of audiences. Your duties will vary from day to day, will range from routine to difficult and will be challenging. Key responsibilities include:
• Processing personnel, timekeeping and medical leave actions.
• Maintaining appropriate records and managing paper and electronic files.
• Purchasing and administering contracts.
• Planning logistics and staffing special events and special work sessions.
You must be able to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers and would be expected to carry out responsibilities with initiative and creativity, while exercising sound professional judgment.
The Business Operations Division in OMF provides an array of financial management, communications, and project management services for all of OMF, comprised of the bureaus of Human Resources, Revenue and Financial Services, Technology Services, 311 Program, Division of Asset Management, and the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer. The Division also provides financial management and specific administrative services to the five City Council Offices.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training, and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
1. Experience in timekeeping duties, including maintaining pay records, and entering payroll data and/or timekeeping systems in an accurate and timely manner;
2. Experience performing a range of human resources administrative actions;
3. Experience in purchasing and administering contracts;
4. Experience in interpreting, applying, and explaining rules and processes;
5. Experience managing projects with tight timelines and multiple layers of review.
Applicants must also possess:
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting: 10/11/21 to 10/18/21
- Applications Reviewed: week of 10/25/21
- Eligible List: week of 11/01/21
- Selection Phase Begins: mid November
- Job Offer: late November
- **Timeline is approximate and subject to change**
Applicants must submit a professional resume and answer all supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and answers to supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your supplemental question answers should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events
Anna Morgan, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 10/18/2021 11:59 PM Pacific