Behavioral Health Patient Services Rep
Full Time - Regular
Roseburg, OR, US
The primary role of the Behavioral Health (BH) Patient Services Representative is to greet patients, schedule walk-in appointments, verify insurance coverage information and collect payments in a friendly and efficient manner for the Behavioral Health Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Core Job Duties:
- Check in patients, verifying current demographics and insurance coverage. Notify back office staff of patient's arrival in a timely manner.
- Assist patients with mental health screenings.
- Coordinates with front and back office regarding psychiatric counselling services.
- Advocate and coordinate on behalf of mental health patients with other facilities.
- Maintains knowledge of other local behavioral health resources.
- Prepares Helow tele-visits.
- Reads back physician notes to patients and family members regarding medications and treatment instructions given by a physician.
- Assist with Prior Authorizations for Medications. Provide support to BH providers for psychotropic medication requests for refills.
- Manage crisis calls and patients in distress.
- Provide and assist patients with completing necessary paperwork, including authorization and consent forms, patient information, medical history, scan insurance cards for commercial insurance.
- Schedule walk-in appointments and complete necessary paperwork, register patient into the PM.
- Answer all inbound clinic phone calls and respond or direct appropriately.
- Verify patient information to ensure the patient is on the phone.
- Verify patient phone number if a return call is needed.
- Document phone notes in the EMR for all clinical issues.
- Return all patient voicemails by end of business daily.
- Set up language/interpretation services when necessary.
- Process outgoing/incoming mailings on a regular basis.
- Assist with stat requests from pharmacies, other provider offices, imaging and lab.
- Assist patients in finding solutions to transportation issues.
- Check out patient, ensuring follow-up appointment is made if necessary.
- Use the correct search criteria in order to eliminate the creation of duplicate charts in the system.
- Contact a member of the clinical staff promptly if an acutely ill patient either telephones or approaches the reception desk with or without an appointment.
- Understands the prior authorization and referral process.
- Maintain working knowledge of the Oregon Health Plan and Medicare.
- Act as cashier in handling payments and co-payments.
- Learn and assist with Gap list as requested.
- Comply with organization's internal policies and procedures, Code of Conduct, Compliance Plan, along with applicable Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Always demonstrate the highest performance and behavior standards. Share responsibility and expect others to be accountable.
Demonstrate a proactive approach to problem identification and solutions. Be innovative and solutions oriented, improving processes while reducing costs. Demonstrate appropriate time-management skills. Optimize the use of available resources.
Be a Team Player
Support and assist your team members. Be available to help, and learn from your team. Keep an open mind to feedback and earn trust of staff.
Keep your promises, commitments, and confidences. Be honest and straightforward dealing with all issues fairly and consistently.
Adhere to all state and federal regulations relating to your position including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Fraud & Abuse and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) laws. Abide by Company policies and procedures at all times.
- Working with a variety of personalities, maintaining a consistent and fair communication style.
- Satisfying the needs of a fast paced and challenging company.
- Working with the BH patient population.
- Ability to problem solve and de-escalate crisis situations.
- Passion for working with BH patient population.
- Ability to maintain compassion, empathy, and emotional stability while assisting patients in crisis situations. i.e. suicidal calls, domestic violence, child abuse, depression, anxiety, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years' experience in a customer service oriented field.
- Proficient computer skills, typing and 10-key required; efficient with Microsoft Office.
- One year in a medical office, insurance or healthcare related field preferred.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle and resolve difficult situations in a professional manner.
Typical office environment requiring standing, sitting, walking, bending, and lifting up to 25 pounds. May be exposed to patient and environment conditions such as unpleasant sights, smells and contagious diseases.