Business Systems Analyst I
Job Appointment: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Mon-Fri. 7 - 3:30, alternate schedule may be available after probation.
Work Location: Hybrid/work location:The Portland Building1120 SW 5th Avenue, Portland OR 97204
Benefit: Please check our benefits tab for an overview of benefits for this position
Union Representation: This classification is represented by the DCTU. To view this labor agreement, click here .
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland's online portal. You will need to respond to the supplemental questions and attach a resume. Update application materials if needed.
The City of Portland is seeking a Business Systems Analyst within the Portland Bureau of Transportation. This classification typically serves a technical and administrative support role for a moderate to large Survey Section. It is the responsibility of this position to ensure that all members of the section have access to the information required to perform their work. They also maintain and administer the project tracking database and develop VBA macros and SQL to format and manipulate survey data. This position also takes an active role in helping to make recommendations for policy changes and will develop procedure within the Survey Section. They will also draft documentation and provide training as needed for many of the computer related processes in support of our Surveying tasks.
What you'll get to do:
- Coordinate with customers to collect, translate, and document business processes and technical requirements.
- Perform advanced business process analysis to determine technical solution recommendations, business process improvement recommendations or data improvement recommendations.
- Provide technical and functional support to multiple systems, and applications.
- Collaborate with other bureaus including the Bureau of Technology Services to determine best practices.
- Contribute to the maintenance, operation, and development of Citywide or Bureau/Office specific systems.
About the Bureau:
The Portland Bureau of Transportation is a community partner in shaping a livable city. We plan, build, manage, and maintain an effective and safe transportation system that provides people and businesses access and mobility. We keep Portland moving. For more information about the Portland Bureau of Transportation, please visit Transportation | Portland.gov. The Portland Bureau of Transportation embraces diversity, models inclusivity, and promotes equity through its service delivery, internal operations, organizational culture, and in its work with partners and the community.
Have a question?
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Experience working collaboratively with customer groups to ensure business processes are analyzed and technical needs are understood and communicated effectively to technical teams.
- Ability to design, test, implement, manage, and support complex technology solutions.
- Ability to learn new systems or software products.
- Knowledge of database management or software management.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with managers, business professionals and others encountered during the course of work.
- Experience in the field and/or office working with Survey field notes, processes and data.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, surveying experience, project tracking proficiency, and strong written communication abilities.
The Recruitment Process
STEP 1: Apply online between September 4 and September 25, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions (click on the Questions tab to preview the questions)
Optional Application Materials:
- Veteran documents to request for Veteran Preference (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc.)
Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis:
Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
Do not attach any additional documents. Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: Week of September 25, 2023
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%.
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: Week of October 2, 2023
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): Mid-October
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates for an interview.
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: Late October
Step 6: Start Date:
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
- Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2023 11:59 PM Pacific