CAD Technician II
The Portland Water Bureau is seeking a CAD Technician II to join the CADD Services Group!
The City of Portland Water Bureau's mission is to serve excellent water every minute of every day to almost 1 million customers in the Portland Metropolitan area. In order to meet our mission in an equitable manner, the Water Bureau works to uproot systemic inequities and their impacts on our employees and the people we serve. We commit to the difficult-and essential-work of transforming Water Bureau policies, practices, and culture to better serve historically and currently oppressed communities.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color are encouraged to apply for this position.
Are you a reliable, detailed, and organized professional?
Do you enjoy solving problems and building relationships?
Do you like working in a collaborative team environment?
If your answers are yes, you may be the CAD Technician II we are looking for.
The CADD (Computer Aided Drafting/Design) Services Section is within the Water Bureau's Engineering Services Group (ESG). The group is currently a small racial and gender diverse workgroup made up of four CAD technicians and one supervisor, with additional seasonal interns... The section's work focuses on the delivery of CADD services for the engineering group necessary for construction and ongoing maintenance of the bureau's water system infrastructure. Work in the section also involves providing professional and timely drafting services as well as researching project details to incorporate into the plan set. Upon completion of the signed documents we then assist the project as it moves through to obtain necessary construction permits. The work can be fast paced to meet project delivery timelines, but you'll be working within a team that is committed to supporting each other and working with the common goal of providing a high level of service to our rate paying customers.
The CAD Technician II is an existing position in the CADD Services Section. As a key member of the section, you will collaborate with design staff in the engineering section to complete capital project delivery. Work also includes other miscellaneous drafting requests from within the Engineering Services Group (ESG).
Do you have a background as a CAD Technician professional, and are you reliable, detailed, and organized?
- You will perform highly detailed water utility capital infrastructure plan sets utilizing CADD software and adhering to our set of standards. Projects include everything from very simple street main's break projects to highly complicated infrastructure replacement packages.
- We are looking to enhance our capability to deliver CADD services for the bureau's capital projects. Your main role will be working with design staff to clearly illustrate the intent of the project's aspirations and goals. You will be tasked with multiple projects at any given time and are expected to keep detailed work logs and project tracking entries for the work you complete.
- You will work on a multitude of tasks and understand/respond to various situations in a fast-paced environment; an organizer and planner who thrives on details and is uncompromising in consistency and accuracy; able to meet established deadlines and understand the importance of managing a dynamic and changing workload.
- You will be required to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Do you enjoy solving problems and building relationships?
- You will work closely with your CADD team and engineers to resolve design problems and provide solutions to get projects constructed. There is a basic level of understanding of engineering practices that is required for this job, and an ongoing system of terms and processes to learn.
- You will be an integral part of a team that performs fairly repetitive tasks and it would be expected to provide critical feedback on process improvements or developments.
- As part of a larger team it will be expected of you to respond to work requests in a timely and responsible manner.
- You will from time to time work outside the water utility mains program and provide CADD services for other types of engineering services including but not limited to 3d Terrain modeling, Custom 2D plans, or other assorted or innovative requests.
Do you like working in a collaborative team environment?
- This job is highly collaborative. You will report to the bureau's CADD Services Supervisor and the CAD Analyst III and work closely with employees from all over the Water Bureau, and project delivery team stakeholders for the bureau's capital projects.
- You will work as part of collaborative team that is willing to share solutions to problems, works well with one another and respects each other both professionally and personally.
- You will establish and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with managers, staff, consultants, other public agencies, and others encountered in the course of work.
This classification is represented by the Professional & Technical Employees Local 17 Union (PTE-17) . To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840 and click on the appropriate link.
About the Water Bureau:The Portland Water Bureau's 600 employees work together to serve almost a million people in the Portland area. The bureau values a diverse workforce and seeks ways to promote equity and inclusion within the organization and with the public.
- Our mission: We serve excellent water every minute of every day.
- Our vision: The water our community loves is safe and abundant for generations to come.
- Our equity commitment: We work to uproot systemic inequities and their impacts on our employees and the people we serve. We commit to the difficult-and essential-work of transforming Water Bureau policies, practices, and culture to better serve historically and currently oppressed communities.
- Honor our responsibility. We take part in a long legacy of careful stewardship of natural resources, infrastructure, and public trust. We never forget that water is essential.
- Serve our community. We know people depend on us. We are dedicated to listening, communicating, and acting with compassion.
- Work well. Our strength lies in the skills, expertise, and creativity our employees bring to work every day. We work hard, we work safely, and we adapt.
- Use money wisely. We work to control costs while maintaining high standards. We invest to make our water system stronger, more flexible, and better prepared for challenges ahead.
- Build relationships. We recognize the power of collaboration--with customers, coworkers, and partner organizations. Our relationships guide our work.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here .
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status (firefighter, vehicle mechanic, street maintenance, etc.). In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, or 3) revert to full-time at a city work location.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position and your qualifications for each must be described in detail when responding to the attached Supplemental Questions.
- Knowledge and experience applying the principles of CADD software in developing professional quality plans.
- Knowledge and experience with the concepts, methods and techniques utilizing 3D principals using CADD software.
- Experience planning, organizing, and work direction to others for carrying out your assigned duties efficiently and effectively.
- Knowledge and experience with reading and interpreting maps, engineering drawings, and other utility locates research in preparing plans.
To obtain the above requirements, a person would typically have any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following:
- Education/Training: Graduation from high school, trade school or vocational school, or G.E.D. equivalent; and
- Experience: Two (2) years of CAD experience working in a professional environment.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting: 07/19/21 - 08/09/21
- Applications Reviewed: week of 8/9/21
- Eligible List: week of 8/23/21
- First Round of Interviews: 9/01/21 - 9/08/21
- Second Round of Interviews: 9/13/21 - 9/16/21
- Job Offer: Week of 10/01/21
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions: Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note , all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers "How to Apply Classes" that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: Events | Career Center | Portland.gov .
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 8/9/2021 11:59 PM Pacific