Citywide Performance Management Lead (Analyst III) – EXTENDED CLOSING DATE
Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine ( Exceptions only apply to candidate(s) offered a position; please do not submit at this time)
Are you an experienced performance analyst who enjoys developing and promoting data systems, performance tools and processes to make government run better? Are you interested in using your passion, your skills and experience to help build a more effective, more equitable, and more transparent Portland City government? The City Budget Office (CBO) is looking to hire a Citywide Performance Management Lead (Analyst III) to our team. This unique position within the budget office will collaborate closely with budget analyst staff as well as performance leaders and champions throughout the City to achieve Citywide impact.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated performance management practitioner who is eager to apply their skills to improve the resiliency and efficacy of City services and investments. This position will deploy their knowledge of performance data and tools to support Citywide improvements in performance tracking, reporting and decision-making; will deploy their keen political and operational awareness to identify and pursue opportunities for better use of qualitative and quantitative data in decision-making; and their initiative and organizational skills to build and support Citywide performance measurement and management systems and tools.
This position works closely with City Budget Office finance and policy analysts and leads a small yet mighty performance team to align work products with budget and performance processes and build team impact and value. The Citywide Performance Management Lead will provide City leaders - including the Mayor and Council - with support and tools to promote an understanding of the need for as well as impacts and effectiveness of their investment decisions. This position will report to the Budget Director and will also support bureau leadership and operations.
The successful Citywide Performance Management Lead possesses strong problem solving, project management, interpersonal, and communication skills as well as leadership and initiative. The work requires a robust understanding of performance management and measurement principles and the ability to stay up-to-date on leading approaches in the field; the ability to assess and pursue strategic opportunities for improvement and change; strong organizational and project management skills; the ability to lead and manage several stakeholders and a small number of staff; and the ability to clearly and concisely communicate evidence-based recommendations to bureau and City management and elected officials. The work also requires an aptitude for operating with a variety of database and software systems. The Citywide Performance Management Lead is expected to carry out individual responsibilities with initiative and creativity while exercising professional judgment and strong interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will be able to function both independently and as part of a small team.
The City Budget Office relies upon the unique experiences and knowledge of our staff to help evolve and improve our processes and deliverables, and encourages candidates with the knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad range of individuals and diverse communities to apply. The City Budget Office is committed to empowering fiscally responsible, equitable, and anti-racist practices and decisions and encourages candidates with diverse abilities and backgrounds to apply to help us achieve these goals.
City of Portland Core Values:Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status. In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, or 3) revert to full-time at a city work location.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their resume and answers to supplemental questions how their education, training, work experience, and/or lived experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Thorough knowledge of principles, practices, and methods of performance management and measurement, particularly as it relates to a large organization.
- Ability to perform thorough analysis of complex financial, budgetary, policy, operational, and/or organizational problems; evaluate alternatives; and reach sound, logical, evidence-based conclusions and recommendations.
- Experience preparing clear, concise, and comprehensive reports, correspondence, and other documents involving technical, budgetary, and financial data in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Bureau/Office managers and staff, representatives of other governmental agencies, the public, and others encountered in the course of work.
- Knowledge & understanding of issues of racial and disability equity and the ability to assess potential equity impacts of policies or programs.
Applicants Must Also Possess:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting: 09/20/21 to 10/11/21
- Applications Reviewed: week of 10/11/21
- Eligible List: week of 10/18/21
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively week of 10/25/21
- Hire Date: Tentatively November 2021
- *Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional resume and answer all supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and answers to supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your supplemental question answers should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass .
Questions about the application process?
John DiGrazia, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
(503) 758-2030Closing Date/Time: 10/11/2021 11:59 PM Pacific