Civil Engineering & Drafting Division Engineering Supervisor
Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine ( Exceptions only apply to candidate(s) offered a position; please do not submit at this time)
The City of Portland is seeking an Engineering Supervisor to lead a civil engineering section of the Civil Engineering and Drafting Division within the Bureau of Transportation!
About the position: This Engineering Supervisor position resides within CED which provides the civil design and construction management for the bulk of PBOT's capital improvement projects. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a solid engineering background in both design and construction and who has demonstrated abilities to oversee on-call engineering consultant contracting and excellent communication skills, and has an interest in further developing electronic design delivery for seamless alignment and digital terrain modeling transfer into the construction phase of our projects.
We offer a collaborative, learning environment, in support of PBOT's Mission: We work with our community to shape a livable city together. We plan, build, manage, and maintain an effective and safe transportation system that provides people and businesses the access and mobility they need and deserve. We keep Portland moving.
What you'll get to do:
- Supervise and lead a section within Civil Engineering and Drafting including traditional civil design transportation projects, transit oversight, estimating, and providing construction management supervision on a variety of projects, big and small
- Personnel development, supervision, and technology advancement lead.
- Lead the technical aspects of Design and Construction project stages for PBOT's CIP program, and provide engineering expertise during Project Development stage.
- Be a member of the PBOT team- a national leader in the area of accessibility and accessible design standards.
- Oversee PBOT's on-call engineering services consultant contracting program.
- Develop and prioritize projects that will help support the PBOT Strategic Plan.
As a person, you are (a);
- Safety Conscious: A manager that incorporates public safety and staff safety as top priorities in every decision.
- Excellent Communicator: A strong communicator to technical and non-technical individuals and who is proficient verbally and in writing.
- Experienced Engineer: A professional engineer with a diverse background in engineering, various construction delivery methods, and ability to negotiate with team members (internally and external to the organization) to accomplish objectives in a collaborative, successful way.
- Organized: Able to work on a multitude of tasks and understand/react to various situations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Dedicated: Personally, you have a passion for transportation and improving transportation through public service; you hold a high level of pride in making sure that projects are effectively managed, and that you are proud of the work delivered to the public
- Leader: Strong leader with commitment to your position as well as your team/employees.
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status (firefighter, vehicle mechanic, street maintenance, etc.). In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, or 3) revert to full-time at a city work location.
The following minimum qualifications are required:
- Experience managing civil engineering projects including design development and construction management of multi-disciplinary projects.
- Experience reviewing and applying AASHTO, state and local jurisdiction standards to projects
- Experience delivering projects using digital modeling to enhance project design through construction
- Experience leading technical employees including scheduling, mentoring, training, and professional development
- Experience communicating and collaborating with technical and non technical individuals, verbally and in writing
Applicant Must Also Possess:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
- Professional Engineers Certification at time of application
- Oregon Professional Engineers Certification within 6 months of hire
- Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university in an engineering field
- Eight years (8) of progressively responsible experience in professional engineering, including two (2) years of experience in a supervisory OR mentoring role
(Example of other combination: Masters Degree with 6 years of experience in professional engineering including 2 years of experience in a supervisory/mentoring role)
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Job Posting closes: 11/1
Applications Reviewed: week of 11/1
Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 11/8
1st Round of Interviews: Mid November
Job Offer: LateNovember/Early December
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested . E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review tips and tricks when applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Emily Sargent (Mavraganis)
email@example.comClosing Date/Time: 11/1/2021 11:59 PM Pacific