The position is projected to last through June 2021 (approximately 18 months).
The City Auditor's Office is looking for an elections coordinator who is analytical and precise, comfortable with detail, and has a proven ability to communicate complex information with a wide variety of audiences in various formats.
This full-time, temporary position will help the City Elections Officer administer the election cycle, which will have three contested seats appearing on the ballot. City Elections, which is part of the City Auditor's Office, also administers ethics regulations, such as lobbying registration and disclosures. The Auditor is independent of the Mayor and City Commissioners, and this structure is critical to ensuring independent elections administration and program oversight.
Responsibilities of the Elections Coordinator include:
- Creating and gathering information to inform the public and other stakeholders about election requirements;
- Working with the Elections Officer to ensure the 2020 election complies with all requirements and timelines in City Code, Charter, and State law;
- Developing processes and procedures;
- Providing training to the public and City Officials;
- Assisting with communications materials; and
- Coordinating with others in the division to assist with business operations of the Auditor's Office, as needed.
Experience with elections administration and program compliance is not required, but successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to learn and communicate rules and regulations, and the ability to interact and relay complex information to people from diverse backgrounds and levels of expertise. Individuals must be comfortable working in a politically sensitive environment and be dedicated to the Auditor's Office mission of serving the public in an impartial and timely manner.
Benefits of working for the City of Portland:
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and short-term and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance, and employee assistance program coverage are available to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family. The City of Portland also participates in PERS (the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System).
Three documents are required for a complete application: a resume, a cover letter, and a brief writing sample. The content of each is described below.
List professional and volunteer experience; education and training; and the time periods for each. If you speak more than one language or have other specialized skills, please list those.
2) COVER LETTER
Describe how you meet the minimum qualifications below, which are required to be successful in this position. If you are unsure if you meet a requirement, describe how your background, including specific experience and knowledge, meets the needs of the position. Where possible, connect items in your resume to these requirements. It is suggested that you number your cover letter with the below items to be sure you address each qualification.
- Ability to learn analyze, interpret, and explain government regulations and procedures and communicate them to varying audiences;
- Ability to communicate clearly, logically, and persuasively, both orally and in writing; prepare concise and comprehensive reports, correspondence, and other documents;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of the public, elected officials, government representatives, and others;
- Skills and experience in customer service; in particular, exercising tact and diplomacy in dealing with difficult situations;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, problem-solve, and take initiative within established procedures and guidelines; and
- Ability to use common office technology required for communication and daily work, including Microsoft Outlook Suite and an ability to quickly learn and apply new software skills.
If you meet the following preferred qualifications, please briefly describe how in your cover letter.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college;
- Three years of experience in one or a combination of: public administration, elections, political campaigns, communications, data analysis, auditing, compliance or a related area; OR a combination of education and experience in the areas above;
- Familiarity with Portland government, regulatory or public policy development, or work on local campaigns;
- Previous experience assisting with the development of policies and procedures in a public agency;
- Familiarity with the laws and regulations related to campaign finance or elections;
- Experience conducting or assisting with fact-finding investigations or reviews;
- Principles and practices of effective community engagement and outreach; and
- Familiarity with database administration and data analysis methods or software.
3) WRITING SAMPLE
In addition to the cover letter and resume, please submit a two-page writing sample that further demonstrates your ability to meet the minimum and/or preferred qualifications for this position. The sample can be an excerpt taken from your previously public or unpublished work, as long as you were the sole author. Examples of a relevant writing sample include but are not limited to the following:
- An analysis or evaluation of a public program or policy;
- Academic report, business memo, or other communication that demonstrates familiarity with elections, public policy, or political campaigns; or
- Any other document produced for public consumption that may otherwise demonstrate qualification for the position.
The Recruitment Process
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample through the City of Portland's online application system. Emailed, mailed, or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Application materials will be reviewed to determine if candidates meet the qualifications listed above. To successfully pass the initial screening process, you must ensure that your cover letter addresses and includes examples that illustrate your experience and expertise. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be eligible for an interview.
Your cover letter and resume should be no more than five pages combined. Your writing sample should be no more than two pages.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date of this recruitment. Please do not attach materials not requested.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 and/or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 5:00 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
This position is in the Classified Service. It is subject to the Human Resources Administrative Rules for the Auditor's Office, City Code, and City Charter.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting an accommodation, the requests must be made to the Recruiter(s) named below no later than the closing date of this announcement.
If you have questions about how to apply or require any assistance in submitting your application, please contact:
Andrew Bryans, Administrative Specialist
(503) 823-4079Closing Date/Time: 11/25/2019 5:00 PM Pacific