Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine ( Exceptions only apply to candidate(s) offered a position; please do not submit at this time)
About the position: The Crime Data Analyst serves as a team member of the Strategic Services Division of the Portland Police Bureau (PPB). Under general direction, the Crime Data Analyst performs complex data analysis on crime and other related statistical data and information, presents recommendations based on findings, and performs other duties in support of the Police Bureau and Citywide activities.
The applicant must possess the ability to effectively work in both a collaborative team environment and under limited supervision. Crime Data Analysts must be able to apply principles of equity and inclusion to analytical approaches. The applicant must be able to communicate complex concepts and make presentations to audiences of varying technical ability.
The Crime Data Analyst's responsibility, in this position, may include:
- Providing analysis support to the precincts and units within the Portland Police Bureau. Including compiling and maintaining datasets; analyzing, tracking, and mapping crime data; determining patterns and trends; identifying geographic areas of concern from a community safety lens; providing analysis to support investigations such as network analysis; and preparing reports and visualizations to inform police response.
- Assisting with the development of datasets and visualizations to support an open data project. Includes preparation of datasets; creation of visualizations using Tableau; development of supporting materials including data dictionaries & FAQs
- Researching best practices and emerging trends; reviewing professional literature & maintaining relationships with peers in the analyst profession; integrating research findings to inform data collection processes, analysis design, and development of recommendations.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here .
The following minimum qualifications are required:
- Experience collecting and processing complex quantitative and qualitative data including working with relational databases.
- Experience with the techniques and software used in crime analysis including statistical analysis, geospatial analysis, and/or network analysis.
- Experience utilizing data visualization software (such as Tableau) to present complex technical information effectively.
- Experience developing recommendations and communicating complex analytical topics to non-technical audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work both under limited supervision and as part of a collaborative team to determine methodologies and solve problems.
Applicant Must Also:
- Pass an in-depth background investigation
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Timeline: Posting Closes: 11/1Applications Reviewed: Week of 11/1Eligible List: Week of 11/8Selection Phase Begins: Mid-Late November Contingent Job Offer: Early DecemberPlease note: The in depth background check timeline may vary*Timeline is approximate and subject to change without notice
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/career-center/events
Questions?/ Recruiter Contact Information:
Emily Sargent (Mavraganis), Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 11/1/2021 11:59 PM Pacific