Development Services Technician I
The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) is looking for Development Service Technician I's to work in our Records Conversion Team. These positions will be part of a seven-person team. Staff members are responsible for providing outstanding customer service to a wide variety of internal and external customers in the Development Services Center and for a variety of staff within the bureau. The work environment at the City is fast-paced and typically involves meeting work needs within specific deadlines, which requires strong multitasking, problem-solving, prioritizing and organizational skills.
What you will get to do in the Records Conversion Team:
- Be part of a team working in a fast-paced environment juggling competing-priorities.
- Work with the City's permit tracking system (AMANDA)
- Retrieve records and information, researching and compiling history, and scanning and managing documents for customers
- Perform GIS mapping
- Respond to public inquiries regarding permits
- Generate electronic documents in the City's Digital Archive System (TRIM) that are available online to staff and customers.
- Ensure adherence to procedures in moderately complex technical matters
- Provide excellent customer service to diverse internal and external customers
As a person you are:
- A Multi-tasker: You thrive on juggling competing priorities
- A Customer Service Superstar: Excels and takes pride in providing excellent customer service
- Emotionally Intelligent: Motivated, passionate, team-oriented, and empathetic.
- Collaborative: a team player who focuses on problem solving and solutioning rather than being a barrier.
- Solutions Oriented: willing and able to speak up with ideas and suggest creative and innovative process improvements.
Although not required, you may have: one or more of the desirable skills.
- Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Pro
- Building and Trade permitting experience
- Records and property research
- Bilingual Spanish/English skills or other languages
This classification is represented by Professional Technical Employees, Local 17 (PROTEC17). To view this labor agreement, please click here.
Our Equity Commitment:
The Bureau of Development Services is committed to eliminating racism and all discriminatory practices in our services and in our workplace because we understand the positive value of equitable systems.
Equity: Conditions that allow everyone to flourish so that race, gender, ability and/or other held identities do not determine access or outcomes.
To learn more at The Bureau of Development Services equity commitment - please review our equity commitment: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/670171
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, healthcare flexible and/or dependent care spending accounts, fertility couseling and resources, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), including contributions to the PERS IAP plan paid by employer. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits, please click here.
Many positions within the City are designated as hybrid and currently the City requires you to work in-person one day per week. Beginning in May 2023, most hybrid employees will be expected to perform at least half of their work in-person. City Council approved a human resources administrative rule in January 2023, HRAR - 4.045, requiring employees, including those who are fully remote and hybrid, to perform work within Oregon or Washington. Employees have until May 4, 2023, to be in compliance with the new rule. For more information, click here.
The City is offering an optional information meeting for this recruitment. Please see the Additional Information section below for details.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of standard office operations and procedures for establishing and maintaining both manual and electronic files such as archiving and retrieving records and information.
- Experience understanding and following written and oral instructions, efficiently working under general supervision and on multiple tasks, providing detailed and accurate work.
- Experience in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to use a variety of computer programs, such as Word, Adobe, and Excel, to maintain electronic files, and to retrieve and research information from those files.
- Ability to read and explain various types of maps and documents such as site plans, construction plans and regulations.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Applications Reviewed: week of 5/22/23
- Eligible List: Week of 5/29/23
- Interviews begin: mid-June
- Offer: Early/Mid July
**Timeline is approximate and subject to change without notice**
Applicants must submit a professional résumé online and answer all required supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your answers to the supplemental questions any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.
Questions?/Recruiter Contact Information:
Tami Larison, Senior Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity Employer
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSION
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional session below: :
May 11th from 12:00PM-1:00PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.OR
May 17th from 5:00-6:00PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.Closing Date/Time: 5/22/2023 11:59 PM Pacific