Emergency Medical Services Intern (Community Service Aide II)
The City of Portland is excited to announce an opening for an Emergency Medical Services Intern with Portland Fire & Rescue Medical Services & Training Division!
About the position:
Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) is seeking a college-level student who is currently enrolled in nursing, paramedic, another medical field or the equivalent.
As an EMS intern, you will:
- Retrieve Data and reports.
- Attend meetings and record minutes.
- Assist with quality assurance report processing and notifications
- Produce EMS equipment adjunct materials
- Gather related EMS office research and materials to support Bureau and/or County training opportunities.
- Summarize occupational exposure reports, filing as needed.
- Develop written monthly summaries of personnel exposures supply and equipment inventory and maintenance.
- Input and summarize injury, exposure data and fitness testing results.
- Maintain training records.
- Perform statistical calculations of paramedic profiles.
- Perform statistical analysis of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) scores, track, summarize performance data.
- Research and retrieve quality improvement literature.
- Monitor supply inventory for the EMS office and assisting in medical inventory for PF&R.
- Assist EMS Trainers and developing training curriculum and other duties as assigned by EMS staff.
- Intern may drive to logistics or fire stations to deliver supplies, do mask fit testing, and other tasks assigned by EMS.
Positions Available: 1 position for a college-level applicant
Start Date: Summer 2023
Time Commitment: Summer 2023
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Pay: $15.53 to $28.29 per hour depending on experience
Work Location: The position Is located in two locations: EMS office at 4800 NE 122nd Ave AND the Logistics EMS office at 1135 SE Powell. This position will be required to work in person full time.
Note: These is a casual Community Service Aide (CSA) II positions with a maximum of 1,400 hours in a calendar year. This position is not eligible for benefits.
Please state in your resume or supplemental question if you have the following desired qualifications:
- Taken a Medical Terminology class
- CPR Certified
- EMR, EMT Basic, OR EMT PARAMEDIC
- Must be able to operate a City vehicle or employee may also operate personal owned vehicle with mileage reimbursement .
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training, work experience and/or lived experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to conduct data entry to reporting and word processing software to perform statistical analysis, formatting, calculation, formula, and chart construction
- Ability to use effective communication both orally and in writing while maintaining confidentiality.
- Knowledge of office operations and procedures and operation of a variety of office equipment and machines
- Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationships with a variety of diverse internal & external stakeholders.
Applicant must also:
- Provide proof of active enrollment in a higher-education institution in nursing, paramedic, another medical field or proof of classes taken, such as medical terminology at the time of offer.
- Successfully pass a criminal background investigation which is required for employment with PF&R.
- Possess a valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting Closes: 6/5/2033
- Applications Reviewed: 5/19/2023 - 06/9/2023
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 06/12/2033
- Selection Phase Begins: Mid June 2023
- Job Offer: July 2023
Please note: Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit responses to the supplemental questions and a professional résumé online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your responses to the supplemental questions and résumé will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis : Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or starting in April 2023 you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.
Loan Tran Polanco Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
Loan.Tran@portlandoregon.govClosing Date/Time: 6/5/2023 11:59 PM Pacific