Environmental Compliance Manager – Water Bureau (Manager I)
The Portland Water Bureau is seeking an Environmental Compliance Manager to develop, manage and oversee environmental regulatory compliance programs and strategies for the bureau.
The position will report to the Resource Protection and Planning Group Director and manage the Environmental Compliance Division overseeing five full-time technical and policy staff and four to five seasonal field staff. The position is responsible for implementation of the Water Bureau's Bull Run Water Supply Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), a comprehensive 50-year approach to anadromous fish and wildlife habitat restoration and conservation in the Sandy River Basin. In this role, the position work closely with Water Bureau Operations, Engineering and Hydropower staff to ensure that the City's drinking water and hydroelectric systems operate in compliance with all applicable environmental regulations. Implementation of the HCP also requires regular coordination and collaboration with fish restoration stakeholders in the Sandy River Basin (Sandy River Basin Partners) and state and federal regulators (Oregon Fish and Wildlife Department, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and the National Marine Fisheries Service). The position will also play a key role in the City's future planning, preparation and communications with regulators on the relicensing process for its hydroelectric facilities.
Management responsibilities include supervision and assignment of duties for staff; contract management for professional technical services; environmental compliance program evaluation; and budget development and monitoring for the assigned division. Direct duties are focused on relationship development, maintenance and collaboration with bureau staff, stakeholders and regulators. The successful candidate for the position will be trusted to exercise considerable discretion in carrying out responsibilities independently and to demonstrate ongoing awareness of national, regional, and local environmental issues affecting drinking water provision.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, pleaseclickhere.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer inALLpeople and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families.If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates inthe Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here .
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status (firefighter, vehicle mechanic, street maintenance, etc.). In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
All of the following minimum qualifications are required for this position.Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications. (Please see "Application Instructions" below.)
- Knowledge and experience applying the fundamental natural sciences underlying healthy aquatic ecosystems including hydrology, botany and/or forestry, geology and fisheries science.
- Knowledge and experience applying the principles of management and supervision, including trainingand performance evaluation.
- Knowledge and experience analyzing, interpreting, explaining andapplying the federal, state, and local environmental laws, statutes, regulations, and ordinances including the federal Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act and National Environmental Policy Act.
- Ability and experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including regulators, colleagues and stakeholders; demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and patience, and gain cooperation through discussion and collaboration.
- Ability and experience collaboratingwith communities of color and people traditionally underrepresented in local decision-making; facilitate inclusive participation in programs and activities; communicate cross culturally.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Position Posted: 09/14/20 - 10/05/20
- ApplicationsReviewed: week of 10/05/20
- Eligible List:week of 10/12/20
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively the week of 10/26/20
Please note: All timelines are approximate and subject to change. This timeline may be delayed due to impacts from the current COVID-19 situation.
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions: Yourrésuméand responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience , and where it was obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment.All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested . E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status:Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference:If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity:It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know?The City of Portland offers "How to Apply Classes" that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates:www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action EmployerClosing Date/Time: 10/5/2020 11:59 PM Pacific