Facilities Maintenance Technician (LME) – Open Until Filled
This recruitment will remain open until filled or June 19, 2023. Applications will be reviewed weekly.
The City of Portland is seeking Facilities Maintenance Technicians!
(The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies)
People hired into this position must possess a State of Oregon Limited Maintenance Electricians (LME) license or higher because of their work with existing electrical systems.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician performs preventative maintenance and repair of heating, cooling, ventilation systems, household appliances, and other building equipment such as lights, plumbing, and office furniture. Work requires familiarity with building heating systems to recognize operating conditions that may lead to breakdown or inefficient operation. The work also involves performing minor building maintenance tasks requiring a variety of mechanical skills.
Typical Duties/Examples of Work:
- Performs preventive maintenance to plumbing, electrical, mechanical systems and related system components; tests systems' competency and devices, and evaluates performance; participates in developing preventative maintenance plans.
- Repairs and replaces plumbing, electrical, mechanical systems and system components, including sensors and related hardware and software.
- Maintains induction and air handling units; cleans and inspects all equipment; maintains and services refrigeration units.
- Estimates and evaluates project costs; identifies repair and maintenance projects requiring the assistance of contractors or vendors; describes work to be performed, solicits cost estimates and evaluates cost for projects valued at less than prescribed limits; manages the selected contractor's or vendor's work and recommends final payment; assists in the review of new construction or remodel plans to assure compliance with facility maintenance standards.
- Review new construction or remodel plans to ensure compliance of specification and standards; monitors work of vendors.
- Repairs and maintains facilities structures; performs minor repairs to building plumbing, low-voltage, and line voltage electric systems, door hardware, fire, life and safety protection equipment/ systems, sprinkler systems, irrigation lines; constructs and maintains indoor/outdoor recreational facilities, fans, lights and related; conducts structural inspections for safety.
- Repairs and maintains small, motorized equipment and engines.
- Responds to emergency calls; monitors and evaluates need for additional assistance; provides technical assistance and makes recommendations; may serve as lead; performs related duties as assigned.
Fire & Rescue Positions:
As a Facilities Maintenance Technician for Fire & Rescue you will perform preventative maintenance and repair of heating, cooling, ventilation systems, household appliances, and other building equipment such as lights, plumbing, and office furniture. Work requires familiarity with building heating systems to recognize operating conditions that may lead to breakdown or inefficient operation. The work also involves performing minor building maintenance tasks requiring a variety of mechanical skills. Basic knowledge of appliance repair, such as clothes washer, dryer, dish washer, ovens, cook tops, and refrigerators is required.
Office of Management and Finance Positions:
Under the general direction of the Building Maintenance Supervisor, the Building/Facilities Maintenance Technician performs preventive maintenance and repair of heating, cooling, ventilation systems, and other building equipment such as lighting, plumbing, electrical and office furniture. Work is performed throughout the city in a variety of office types, including public settings with a focus on customer service. Successful candidates must have experience with building heating systems to recognize operating conditions that may lead to breakdown or inefficient operation, as well as performing building maintenance tasks requiring a variety of mechanical skills and the ability to utilize smart phones and tablets to operate HVAC equipment and track preventative maintenance schedules.
An ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to safety and OSHA standards. Although not required, familiarity with direct digital controls and building automation systems as well as Backflow certification.
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portland.gov/bhr/employee-relations/labor-relations/labor-agreements and click on the appropriate link. A pplicants not currently employed by the City of Portland start at the entry salary rate. If you are a DCTU represented employee, see labor agreement for additional information or talk to your union representative.
The current vacancy is in Portland Fire & Rescue. This recruitment may also be used to fill future vacancies in the Office of Management & Finance - Facilities.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, healthcare flexible and/or dependent care spending accounts, Carrot Fertility, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
This position will work on-site at various City of Portland locations.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and work history or résumé how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge of building/facility automated control systems or components.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance, and/or repair of plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of the principles of building maintenance or repair.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC and refrigeration systems including the operation of chillers, fan systems and pumps.
- Experience performing repair and replacement of facilities electrical components.
- Experience with building/facility maintenance hazards and safety precautions, including applicable OSHA standards.
For Fire & Rescue positions, candidates will need the following additional experience:
- Basic knowledge of appliance repair, such as clothes washer, dryer, dish washer, ovens, cook tops, and refrigerators.
Applicant must also possess:
- Possession of an Oregon Limited Maintenance Electricians License (LME) or higher Oregon electrical license, at the time of appointment.
- A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record at the time of appointment.
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical examination after an offer of employment has been made and accepted.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume/work history and supplemental questions are weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting opens: 5/22/2023 open until filled
- Applications Reviewed: weekly
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: as needed
- Interviews: TBD
- Job Offer: TBD
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit their work history, or professional résumé, and respond to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your work history (or résumé)and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your work history (or résumé) should clearly support how you meet the minimum qualifications listed in the "To Qualify" section of the announcement including job titles, dates of employment, job duties, and any certifications you have obtained.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or starting in April 2023 you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.
Tamela Ressler, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 6/19/2023 11:59 PM Pacific