Finance Manager (Manager I)
Job Appointment: Full time, Regular
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm
Work Location: Hybrid; In-person work to be conducted at The Vanport Building, 1810 SW 5th Ave., Suite 710 Portland, OR 97201
Benefits: Please check our benefit tab for an overview of benefit for this position
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland's online portal. You will need to attach a cover letter and resume.
The Finance Managerwill supervise the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability's Finance Team and provide ongoing direction related to budget development, fund management, and accounting practices. This position reports to the Deputy Director and is a key member of the bureau's management team.
The BPS Finance Team handles budget planning and development, financial management, accounting, monitoring, and reporting of bureau financial activities. There are currently six staff within the team, including a Financial Analyst III, two Financial Analyst II's, two Financial Analyst I's, and an Accountant II. The bureau has annual expenditures of approximately $120 Million. In addition to General Fund resources, the bureau has responsibility for managing the Portland Clean Energy Fund ($100M+ revenue annually), the Solid Waste Management Fund ($15M annually), and the multi-jurisdictional Mt. Hood Cable Regulatory Fund ($12M annually).
As a Finance Manager, you will:
- Provide leadership to retain diverse, competent, and service-oriented finance staff - including creating professional development and training opportunities, assigning roles that best match skills and ensure manageable workloads, setting performance goals, and collaboratively evaluating performance.
- Develop and administer the bureau budget in partnershipwith the Deputy Director, the bureau Executive Team, and program managers. This includes forecasting resources; monitoring budget to actual revenues and expenditures and suggest adjustments; managing quarterly and annual budget update processes; performing various specialized financial, revenue, budgetary studies and analyses.
- Deliver public presentations alongside executive level management to commissions, budget advisory committees, and City Council.
- Oversee systems to ensure transparent financial accountability for the Portland Clean Energy Fund, the Solid Waste Management Fund, and the Mt. Hood Cable Regulatory Fund.
- Track and manage internal services interagency agreements with partner agencies that provide services to the bureau (OMF, BTS, Fleet, etc.).
- Promote an equitable workplace that demonstrates an environment respectful of living and working in a multicultural society.
As a candidate you are:
- People Centered: Understand that our people are our most important resource and that it is possible to create a supportive and engaged workplace.
- Equitable Leader: You are a strong equitable leader with a commitment to your position as well as your team/employees. Being an ethical, fair, and supportive leader is critical.
- Municipal Budget System Expert: Ideally City of Portland budget experience.
Jaclyn Snyder, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Experience in financial management, budget preparation and administration, accounting, public administration, and program evaluation.
- Experience leading, managing, supervising, training, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Ability to utilize enterprise financial software (such as SAP, Business Financial Management, and/or Patternstream), Microsoft Office suite, and general office software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; present information, proposals, and recommendations clearly and persuasively in public settings.
- Ability to manage a multicultural workforce, promote an equitable workplace environment, and apply equitable program practices to diverse and complex municipal services.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and patience, and gain cooperation through discussion and collaboration.
Although not required, you may have one or more of the following:
- Education/Training: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration, or field related to finance, accounting.
- Experience: four (4) years professional experience in a financial field, including at least three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Experience with municipal budget systems, ideally City of Portland budget experience.
The Recruitment Process
STEP 1: Apply online between September 4, 2023 - September 25, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Optional Application Materials:
- Veteran documents to request for Veteran Preference (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc.)
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted. Do not attach materials not requested.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: Week of September 25, 2023 and October 2, 2023
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%.
- Your resume and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: Week of October 9, 2023
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): Mid-October to Early November
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates to interview.
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: Mid to Late November
Step 6: Start Date: Early December
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change*
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
- Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes once per month. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement.Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2023 11:59 PM Pacific