Flow Monitoring Operator
Salary: $21.73 - $26.47 Hourly
Job Type: Regular (Full-Time)
Job Number: 21-0512-01
Location: Salem, OR
Department: Public Works Department
The City of Salem is recruiting for a Wastewater Flow Monitoring Operator! Do you have a background in wastewater collection or want to begin one? If so, this may be the perfect job for you! We are looking for candidates looking for a challenge, willing to learn, and love working in the field with their hands.
The Flow Monitoring Operator performs the installation, maintenance and repair of flow monitoring and rain gauge equipment, the collection of data, and the recording of the results of flow data. Work also includes troubleshooting flow monitor devices, sensors, cables, data and graphs. Work requires revolving 24-hr standby duty during wet weather season (typically October through March) and mandatory overtime during wet weather events.
The Flow Monitoring Operator is distinguished from the Flow Monitoring Technician by the absence of ongoing responsibility to direct a crew on an ongoing basis, be responsible on an ongoing basis for the accomplishments of the crew, and the absence of the greater requirement application of technical expertise in the collection or stormwater conveyance systems, flow monitoring or device maintenance.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position may receive general work direction from a Flow Monitoring Technician and receives general supervision from a higher-level manager or supervisor. This position does not supervise, but may provide directions and leadership to seasonal staff, other career staff, or inmate labor.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Must pass the pre-employment Background Check
- Must have an Oregon Driver's license
- Must have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards
- High school graduate or G.E.D., and one year of experience in a routine performance of operator duties, tasks and responsibilities in a wastewater collection or treatment system including experience with the maintenance, calibration, installation, and data analysis of flow monitoring or rain gauge equipment, or any combination of experience and training that demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed, and ability to perform the essential job functions.
- Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Wastewater Collection System Operation Certificate Level 1 is required within six months of hire.
- Confined space competent person certification is required within six months of hire.
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for Flow Monitoring Operator or view by clicking here.
How can I apply?
The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
To apply, click on the green "Apply" button to complete your application. Make sure that you specify how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification and complete the application.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
You may subscribe for automatic notification of job openings at the City through the Job Interest Cards - sign up today!
For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at www.cityofsalem.net/jobs .