Graphics Designer II
About the positionJob Appointment: Full Time
Work Schedule: Ability to work alternate schedule
Work Location: Hybrid- 1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR
Benefits: Please check our benefits tab for an overview of benefits for this position.
Union Representation: Professional Technical Employees, Local 17 (PROTEC17) . To view this labor agreement, please click here.
Application Materials: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland's online portal. You will need respond to the supplemental questions and attach a resume.
Position SummaryThe graphic designer II will perform a wide variety of graphics and other communication-related tasks, from routine to complex. Projects assigned to this position will vary and include graphics development (both print and digital) as well as design of a wide variety of documents, brochures, online content, reports, charts, maps, presentations, signage, flyers, posters, and more. This position will also assist with having content translated into multiple languages and will perform some basic photography and video production work.
This position will be part of the BDS Communications Team which provides internal and external communication services to the entire bureau. The team provides long-term strategic support for bureau communication efforts, project and change support for major and minor process improvement efforts and responds to communication service work requests.
As a Graphic Designer II, you will:
- Write and edit content and produce graphics for social media, web, email communications, and other targeted digital messaging
- Organize and maintain communication collateral such as design files for digital forms and brochures, presentations, signs, graphics, etc.
- Be proficient working in a Windows-based platform.
- Provide advanced level skills in Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro or Rush. In addition, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint) and Acrobat Pro to support:
- Layout of documents, brochures, presentations, signage and more.
- Editing PDFs
- Create and update forms (interactive PDFs)
- Knowledge of vector-based images and logos
- Creation of documents, presentations, and spreadsheets using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Photo and video editing and curation
Create social media content for platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to communicate with the public. Responsibilities may include assisting with the development and publishing of content including creating events, daily posts, etc.Design email content using a mass HTML email provider, such as Mailchimp, Emma, Constant Contact, GovDelivery, etc. (The Bureau of Development Services will be using GovDelivery exclusively for its email newsletter content starting not later than January 2024.)About the Bureau of Development Services
Our Equity Commitment:
The Bureau of Development Services is committed to eliminating racism and all discriminatory practices in our services and in our workplace because we understand the positive value of equitable systems.
Equity: Conditions that allow everyone to flourish so that race, gender, ability and/or other held identities do not determine access or outcomes.
To learn more about The Bureau of Development Services equity commitment - please review our equity commitment: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/670171
Virtual Zoom Meet & Greet Opportunity
Come meet the hiring manager and the senior recruiter! We'll be talking about this position duties and responsibilities, day to day, review of the announcement and how to apply and answer questions you may have about the position.
Tuesday, September 12th, 2023: 5-6PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Have a question?
Tami Larison, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Ability and experience to independently coordinate assigned graphics and communication projects from concept to completion, reviewing work with managers and staff, and completing assigned projects within production deadlines.
- Ability and experience demonstrating the talent to write and edit text for clarity and space allotment for both internal and external audiences. This includes copywriting, editing, and proofreading skills using the English language
- Ability and experience utilizing established design and branding guidelines, including adapting graphic projects as requested, and completing all assigned projects to strict graphic and accessibility standards.
- Ability and experience in effectively conveying technical information through the utilization of visual aids and various multimedia platforms.
- Experience communicating to different target audiences using creative and culturally appropriate design elements. Examples include designing to diverse cultures and communities who prefer a non-English language
- Experience tracking and completing requested changes on various sized projects, including information provided by multiple editors that demonstrate a high-level of accuracy.
Applicants must also:
- Provide a link to your online portfolio to be used during the selection (Interview) process.
The Recruitment Process
Step 1: Apply online between September 4 , 2023 - September 22, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions (click on the Questions tab to preview the questions)
- In addition to your resume and supplemental response you will need to submit a link to your online portfolio to be used during the selection (Interview) process.
Optional Application Materials:
- If you would like to request Veteran's Preference, please submit your Veteran documents (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc) by the closing date of the recruitment.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis : Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- Do not attach any additional documents.
- Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment.
- All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: September 12 to September 29
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions, weighted 100%.
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- You have 14 days from the notice of the minimum qualification evaluation results to let us know if you would like to review and discuss your evaluation result. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: Week of October 2, 2023
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): Mid October 2023
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates for an interview.
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: Early November 2023
Step 6: Start Date: Mid November
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
- Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 9/22/2023 11:59 PM Pacific