Group Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer
Salary: $19.03 - $23.03 Hourly
Job Type: Temporary/Seasonal (Part-Time)
Job Number: 21-Temp-0327-01
Location: 2615 Portland Rd NE Salem OR, OR
Department: Recreation Services
The City of Salem is hiring for Group Fitness Instructors or Certified Personal Trainers! This position is within Center 50+ Salem's premier Senior Center. This position offers group fitness instruction and personal training opportunities both in the Center 50+ building as well as out in the Salem community through our Wellness on Wheels van (WOW Van) which brings health wellness to local seniors and senior living communities.
In addition to teaching fitness classes or providing training sessions you would have the opportunity to teach short nutrition and wellness lectures both via ZOOM and in person. Center 50+ strives to be a Senior Center without walls, it is our mission to bring health and wellness to all seniors. If you are someone who has a passion for encouraging others to live well and stay active and a genuine love for people, we look forward to meeting you.
The Group Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer position requires leadership of a wide variety of activities. An employee of this classification is responsible for directing recreational activities at programmed recreation sites. An employee may be responsible for total program activities, i.e. planning, organization, implementation, and evaluation of programs delivered. This position is scheduled for 10-20 hours per week. Degree in related field required. Group exercise instruction experience or group activity instruction experience required. CPR/First Aide is preferred. Group Fitness Certification in any fitness category or Personal Training Certification is desired.
Essential Job Functions:
- Welcoming guests to Center 50+ complex.
- Cleaning fitness equipment and group exercise room.
- Providing excellent customer service by explaining programs and activities, teaching patrons how to use fitness equipment, providing basic fitness information; and reporting/resolving complaints.
- Maintaining attendance and class rosters.
- Assisting in the promotion of facility activities and special events.
- Assisting in Wellness on Wheels van activities
- Organizes, implements, and supervises recreational activities.
- Directs others in the delivery of recreational programs and manages on-site operations and participants.
- Performs other related work as required.
The Public Works Department values employees and their professional development. If you are someone that takes pride in collaborating on innovative ideas, proactively responding to community needs, and being a good environmental and financial steward, we look forward to meeting you! The Public Works Department promotes a healthy work life balance, while maintaining the utmost dedication to the health, safety and welfare of our community, including our team!
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Must pass the pre-employment background check and drug test (including marijuana).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have an Oregon Driver license and have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards
- Four years of higher education in exercise science, education or related health/fitness field, or equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training providing instructional experience working with adults in a related program area that demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential job functions.
- CPR/First Aid/AED, personal training, group fitness, or adult/senior instructor certifications preferred.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for Fitness Instructor or view by clicking here.
How can I apply?
The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
To apply, click on the green "Apply" button to complete your application. Make sure that you specify how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification and complete the application.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
You may subscribe for automatic notification of job openings at the City through the Job Interest Cards - sign up today!
For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at www.cityofsalem.net/jobs .