Industrial Maintenance Millwright
This is full performance level work in the repair and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities. Millwrights are responsible for the inspection, adjustment, installation, repair, and preventive/predictive maintenance of wastewater treatment equipment and structures (including pumps, valves, pipe systems, boilers, heat exchangers, blowers, clarifier and screen house systems, solids handling, chlorination equipment and related structures).
Employees of this class perform work with considerable independence.
Work is reviewed by a supervisor through on-site inspection for proper completion and/or review of completed work orders. Successful candidates will have completed a 4-year apprenticeship program as Industrial Maintenance Millwright or possess demonstrated equivalent skills and experience.
For detailed information on the Bureau of Environmental Services, please go towww.portlandoregon.gov/bes.
This position is represented by Laborers' Local 483 collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840.
External applicants start at the entry salary rate.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please clickhere.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer inALLpeople and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families.If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status (firefighter, vehicle mechanic, street maintenance, etc.). In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of fluid dynamics, hydraulic and pneumatic systems; and steam systems.
- Skill and experience welding and cutting structural steel; basic metal fabrication; pipefitting and layout; machine layout, blueprint reading, machinery erection, mechanics and mechanisms, and power transmission; mechanical piping systems, tubing and plumbing.
- Ability and experience in performing precision alignment of equipment.
- Ability and experience operating precision hand tools, power tools, precision measurement tools, and basic machine tools.
Applicants also must possess:
- A valid state's driver's license and acceptable driving record at time of hire.
- Some positions may require additional endorsements, certifications.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting:09/14/20 - 10/05/20
- Applications Reviewed: Week of 10/05/20
- Eligible List: Week of 10/12/20
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively the week of 10/19/20
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional résumé and a cover letter specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following application instructions:
- Your résumé and cover letterwill be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your cover letter.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter and résumé any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later thanthe closing date and timeof this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status:Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference:If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations:If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity:It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Terrol Johnson, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 10/5/2020 11:59 PM Pacific