Laboratory Assistant (Community Service Aide II) – Water Bureau
Portland Water Bureau is seeking a Laboratory Assistant to join the team!
The Water Quality Laboratory has one opening for a CSA who has completed at least one full year of a biological sciences: (Chemistry, biology, or environmental). The lab is responsible for testing water samples taken from throughout the system from source to distribution.
This position may perform duties with focus on sample receiving, such as:
- Preparation of sample kits
- Chain-of-custody protocols
- Use of the LIMS for sample login and data entry
- Maintaining bottle inventories, other section related duties
- Computer work
- Dish washing
- Sample disposal
- Basic lab analysis such as pH and turbidities.
The PWB lab is both NELAP and ORELAP certified requiring strict compliance with all laboratory protocols. Part-Time (20 hours per week)
Note: This is a temporary Community Service Aide (CSA) II position with a maximum of 1,400 hours in a calendar year.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
This position is not benefits eligible.
Applicants must provide details in their supplemental question responses and resume that demonstrate how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge of standard computer programs and software used in data analysis.
- Knowledge of safe work practices within a laboratory.
- Knowledge and ability with chemistry and / or microbiology methods.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Must completed at least one full year of a biological sciences: (Chemistry, biology, or environmental)
- Must completed at least one college level laboratory course
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their résumé and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting closes: 7/26/2021
- Applications Reviewed: week of 7/26/21
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 8/2/21
- Selection: week of 8/9/21
- Job Offer: August/September
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/events
Loan Tran Polanco, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
Loan.Tran@portlandoregon.govClosing Date/Time: 7/26/2021 11:59 PM Pacific