Medical Services & Training Division Intern (Community Service Aide II)
Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) looking for Medical Services & Training Division Interns to join the team!
Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) is seeking a college-level student or a senior high school student in a health-science curriculum program who is currently enrolled in nursing, paramedic, or another medical field or the equivalent as an intern in its Medical Services & Training Division.
The position in the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Section will: retrieve data and reports, attend meetings and record minutes, perform statistical analysis of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) scores, track, summarize performance data, and research and retrieve quality improvement literature. The position will also be responsible for monitoring vaccine and supply inventory for the EMS office and assisting in medical inventory and repair for PF&R.
Other duties will include summarizing occupational exposure reports, filing as needed, developing written monthly summaries of personnel exposures, supply, and equipment inventory, and maintenance, inputting and summarizing injury, exposure data, and fitness testing results, maintaining training records, assisting EMS Trainers and developing training curriculum and other duties as assigned by EMS staff. Intern may drive to logistics or fire stations to deliver supplies or do mask fit testing or other tasks assigned by EMS.
Work Location: Both in-person and remote work possible (depending on Covid)
Positions Available: 1 position for a college-level applicant
Start Date: Summer 2021 - Year long position
Hours: 20 hours per week for the year-long position
Pay: $15.00 to $18.00 per hour
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. In the future, positions currently classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
This position is not eligible for Benefits.
The following minimum qualifications will be required for this position:
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to conduct data entry to reporting and word processing software to perform statistical analysis, formatting, calculation, formula, and chart construction
- Ability to use effective communication both orally and in writing & maintaining confidentiality.
- Knowledge of office operations and procedures and operation of a variety of office equipment and machines
- Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationships with a variety of diverse internal & external stakeholders.
Upon hire, successful applicants will need to:
- Provide proof of active enrollment in a higher-education institution in nursing, paramedic, or another medical field or proof of classes taken, such as medical terminology.
- Successfully pass a criminal background investigation which is required for employment with PF&R.
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting: 7/19/21 - 8/2/21
- Applications Reviewed: week of 8/2/21
- Eligible List week of: by 8/9/21
- Selection Phase Begins: week of 8/9/21
- Job Offer: August
**Timeline is approximate and subject to change without notice**
Applicants must submit a professional résumé and cover letter specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following application instructions:
- Your resume and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training, and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your cover letter.
- Note any training or experience you have related to botany, zoology, ecology, and noxious weeds and other invasive species of the Pacific NW.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter and résumé any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, you will attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Loan Tran Polanco, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
Loan.Tran@portlandoregon.govClosing Date/Time: 8/2/2021 11:59 PM Pacific