Patient Access Representative
Patient Access Representative
Job ID: 19-10648
Type: Part Time - Benefitted
Silverton Medical Ctr campus
You are the first face that patients see, and you set the tone for a personable, positive experience. In short, you are the face of Legacy.
As we strive to fulfill our mission of making life better for others, we need caring and capable individuals to assist patients in every aspect of their health care journey. As a Patient Access Representative, you will use your strong communication and interpersonal skills to collect insurance and other information from patients, help patients and families determine financial responsibilities, collect co-payments, and obtain required legal documentation for state and federal compliance regulations. Your ability to create accurate medical and financial records will benefit patients as well as medical professionals and staff.
The Patient Access Representative is the primary non-clinical contact for all hospital-based patient visits. Greets, registers, checks-in and admits patients depending on scope and service line. Key duties include the collection of demographics, medical providers involved in the patient's care, medical decision makers, the verification of insurance/benefits, and determination of financial responsibilities. Assists patients and their families in determining active insurance coverage and provides information on accessing financial and insurance resources. Offers self-pay information and discounts as appropriate. Collects appropriate copayments, co-insurances, deposits and payments. Works in collaboration with most Revenue Cycle departments and each hospital's units/departments to create accurate medical and financial records. Collects and provides required legal documentation to meet State and Federal compliance regulations.
High School diploma or equivalent required. A minimum of two years college education including satisfactory completion of college level Health Records coursework preferred.
A minimum of one year of healthcare experience or equivalent education in at least one of the following areas required: Patient Access, Medical Records/Health Information or applicable clerical support experience. Six months customer service experience required. Previous registrar and third-party payor experience preferred. An understanding of health plan and benefit structures preferred.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision, exercising independent judgment within stated guidelines.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills which promote cooperation and teamwork.
- Ability to withstand varying job pressures and organize/prioritize related job tasks.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at the same time.
- Excellent public relations skills and demonstrated ability to communicate in calm, succinct, business-like manner.
- Ability to deal with people in emergent and/or stressful situations.
- Ability to identify alternative means of communication as needed.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Keyboard skills and ability to navigate electronic systems applicable to job functions.
- Ability to maneuver through several applications including electronic medical records, Microsoft Office applications, different software, website, and databases.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex collection issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of multi-payor systems, and understanding and applying e-coverage results preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of billing/collection, past balances, deposits and knowing State and Federal rules and regulations preferred.
- Ability to understand and adhere to EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act) guidelines.
- Able to communicate patient financial communication, offer financial aid services, educating patients on eligibility and in and out of network status.
- Ability to enroll patients into Presumptive Medicaid services - which entails a detailed questionnaire with the patient to determine eligibility
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
LEGACY'S VALUES IN ACTION:
Follows guidelines set forth in Legacy's Values in Action.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disabled