Patient Services Representative
Full Time - Regular
Roseburg, OR, US
The primary role of the Patient Services Representative is to greet patients, book appointments, schedule walk-in appointments, answer incoming calls, return calls, manage the fax machine, dokuscan, verify insurance coverage information and collect payments while providing excellent customer service to the patient of Umpqua Health Newton Creek.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Core Job Duties:
• Check in patients, verifying current demographics and insurance coverage. Notify back office staff of patient's arrival in a timely manner.
• Provide and assist patients with completing necessary paperwork, including authorization and consent forms, patient information, medical history, scan insurance cards for commercial insurance.
• Schedule walk-in appointments and complete necessary paperwork.
• Answer all inbound clinic phone calls and respond or direct appropriately.
• Verify patient information to ensure the patient is on the phone.
• Verify patient phone number if a return call is needed.
• Document all clinic related phone calls in a phone note; route calls to the appropriate department/person as necessary.
• Return all patient voicemails by end of business daily.
• Document when language/interpretation services are necessary to reserve interpretation tablet.
• Process outgoing/incoming mailings on a regular basis.
• Assist with stat requests from pharmacies, other provider offices, imaging and lab.
• Assist patients in finding solutions to transportation issues.
• Check out patient, ensuring follow-up appointment is made if necessary.
• Use the correct search criteria in order to eliminate the creation of duplicate charts in the system.
• Contact a member of the clinical staff promptly if an acutely ill patient either telephones or approaches the reception desk with or without an appointment.
• Book appointments and organize schedules.
• Coordinate with Customer Care to schedule patients upon enrollment.
• Follow scheduling guidelines and applicable policies and procedures.
• Work providers past due AR's.
• Collect all copays and balances at time of service.
• Understand the prior authorization and referral process.
• Maintain working knowledge of the Oregon Health Plan and Medicare.
• Act as cashier in handling payments and co-payments.
• Learn and assist with Gap list as requested.
• Comply with organization's internal policies and procedures, Code of Conduct, Compliance Plan, along with applicable Federal, State, and local regulations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum of two years' experience in a customer service oriented field.
• Proficient computer skills, typing and 10-key required; efficient with Microsoft Office.
• One year in a medical office, insurance or healthcare related field preferred.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle and resolve difficult situations in a professional manner.