JOB TITLE: Payroll Specialist
LOCATION: Remote; Pacific or Mountain Time zone preferred
COMPENSATION: $24.50 per hour, approximately $50,960 per year based on 40 hours/wk schedule.
JOB START DATE: July 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 6/12/23
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
We are committed to creating a more diverse workforce that is welcoming to all employees and the communities we serve. As part of the application process, please be prepared to answer a brief essay question (1,000 characters or less) in which you describe some ways you might help Xerces collaborate with diverse audiences or historically excluded communities in this role.
Xerces is happy to provide accommodations for the job application process if needed. If you need an accommodation to complete the job application process, please email email@example.com.
Come join a growing team of conservation professionals at the Xerces Society who are dedicated to protecting some of the world's most important animals. We are seeking a skilled and collaborative Payroll Specialist to help in a wide range of payroll processes and systems which are of critical importance to the organization
At Xerces, we harness the knowledge of scientists and the enthusiasm of the public to implement conservation programs. We take action by helping farms and public agencies develop conservation plans for pollinators and beneficial insects, producing ground-breaking publications on insect conservation, training thousands of farmers and land managers to protect and manage habitat for beneficial insects, protecting endangered species and their habitat, and engaging the public to raise awareness about invertebrates found on farms, forests, prairies, deserts, streams, wetlands, towns and cities. Our methods focus on habitat conservation planning, education, scientific analysis, advocacy, and applied research to conserve invertebrates, such as bees, butterflies, mollusks, and fireflies.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
Reporting to the Human Resource Manager, the Payroll specialist position is responsible for many aspects of Xerces' general business operations including a wide range of payroll processes and systems which are of critical importance to the organization. These include but are not limited to: coordination of payroll and timekeeping function; and day to day compliance with applicable state and federal employment and tax laws. Effective performance requires that the Payroll Specialist be able to apply policies and procedures consistently, propose and implement improvements, and communicate well with team members. Apply judgment and discretion to interpret laws and regulations, and independently make decisions, and implement action.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Payroll: Oversee payroll function using third-party administration service to ensure timely, accurate processing of pay, in coordination with Xerces Finance department.
- Effectively communicate policies, procedures and due dates to all employees in a professional manner and follow up individually when needed.
- Analyze and ensure all updated pay rates, deductions, reimbursements and adjustments are prepared prior to payroll, staff timesheets are completed and reviewed.
- Become proficient in use of third-party payroll system, identifying necessary features and settings we need configure, and working with service team to implement them.
- Enter data into databases and spreadsheets, creating processes and procedures for consistency and accuracy.
- Review and approve direct deposit updates
- Make timely decisions necessary to plan and process all pay and benefits on a semi-monthly basis, by legally-defined deadlines.
- Research, manage and monitor federal, state and local payroll tax changes, register with new state tax and corporation divisions as appropriate and update payroll system with any tax changes.
- Resolve issues and answer payroll-related questions posed by team members and employees.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of personal employee information, and security of company and employee data.
- Assist plan trustees in management of 401(k) retirement plan, uploading of contribution data, quarterly and year-end plan compliance.
- Assist in organization benefit administration; enrollments, terminations, notifications, follow up with employees as needed.
- Administrative duties as assigned
STATUS & SCHEDULE: Full-Time, Hourly, non-exempt position, scheduled to work ~ 40 hours/week. Schedule may be flexible and the opportunity for partial or full-time remote work location can be made, depending on job-specific requirements.
BENEFITS: This position includes a generous benefits package including; twelve paid holidays, paid time off accrued at a rate of 1.73 hours for every 30 hours of pay (15 days per year for a 40 hour/week schedule), medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage, the option to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, short-term disability insurance where not provided under state law, long-term disability insurance, participation in a 401k retirement program with employer contribution match upon meeting eligibility requirements, and a flexible work environment.
TERMS: The Xerces Society is an at-will employer. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information on the Xerces Society and our programs, please see our website: www.xerces.org
All applications must be submitted by the application date via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Xerces Society is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
PRIORITY REFERRAL OF PROTECTED VETERANS
We request priority referral of protected veterans for all openings with our organization. In order to be considered for employment, all applicants for employment with Xerces Society, apply through our Job Board. When referring or being referred as a candidate, including protected veterans, please refer them to this applicant site; http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong foundation in payroll processing, payroll taxes and quarterly/annual reconciliation.
- Experience working with outside payroll processor and online platform.
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, formulas, use of pivot tables.
- Ability and willingness to work with diverse teams and constituents in a respectful, equitable, and inclusive fashion.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and familiarity with Google Apps.
- Communication: clear, concise, and tactful verbal and written communication.
- Planning: efficiently prioritize multiple concurrent deadlines.
- Highest level of attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Experience with payroll and/or employment regulations in multiple states or jurisdictions.
- Nonprofit work experience.
- International payroll experience
- High School diploma
- 2 or more years of direct, hands-on payroll experience.
- Must have current authorization to work in the United States with any employer. Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
- Due to the confidential nature of this role, candidates may be offered this position conditioned upon successful reference and background checks.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field is preferred
Be able to perform the following with reasonable breaks and/or reasonable accommodations:
- Operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a telephone, copy machine, and computer printer for periods of 1-8 hours.