Police Officer-Entry Level
Salary: $31.04 - $40.74 Hourly
Job Type: Regular (Full-Time)
Job Number: 21-0411-05
Location: Salem, OR
Department: Police Department
The City of Salem's Police Department is hiring for Entry Level Police Officers.
As a law enforcement leader in the Pacific Northwest, the Salem Police Department is searching for outstanding candidates for the position of entry level police officer. Our agency has a full complement of special teams and units to include: SWAT, Bomb Squad, Mobile Response Team (Civil unrest Team), Tactical Negotiations Team, Specialized Investigations Unit, DEA Task Force, Violent Crimes Detectives, Property Crimes Detectives, Traffic Control Unit, Downtown Enforcement Team, Crash Reconstructionist, Computer Forensics, Behavioral Health Unit, Training Division, Peer Support Team, Civil Investigations Team, and Patrol.
We are the second largest municipality in the state of Oregon whose responsibilities include providing public safety services and peace of mind to the over 177,000 residents in the capital city. The Salem Police Department has a new facility which is the largest, stand-alone police facility in the state. This will provide you the opportunity to serve in a state-of-the-art public safety facility which includes a large workout room, mat room, and training simulator to provide you with the best opportunities for career development and personal wellness.
The Salem Police Department is the recognized leader in our region for technology and training to better serve our community and neighboring agencies. We have a fleet of state-of-the-art patrol cars with the latest computer technology, cameras, automated license plate reader systems, and weapons platforms. As a Salem Police Officer, you will be issued your needed equipment to include, uniforms, weapons (handgun and rifle), boots, duty gear, iPhone, and more.
The City offers an excellent compensation and benefits package which can be found by clicking here .
Only complete applications will be considered, and interviews are offered to those who have met the qualifications below.
What are the qualifications?
- Be at least 21 years of age at the date of hire
- Be a US citizen, or the ability to attain citizenship within 18 months of hire
- High school graduation diploma, or GED certificate
- Possess and maintain a valid Oregon class C driver's license or other state equivalent and have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's standards.
- Must pass the pre-employment drug test (including marijuana).
- Must pass the pre-employment background check and be able to pass strict Police Department background investigation.
- Must be able to work periodic overtime and a variety of 24-hour rotating shifts including holidays and weekends.
- Must pass the NTN Frontline National Test and submit valid test results to the City through NTN's website (valid test results are results that are current and no more than one year old from time of application).
- Successfully complete the Oregon Physical Agility Test (ORPAT) and submit those results through the NTN website. The ORPAT requirement for the City of Salem is 6:00 minutes or less. Please note to graduate from Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training you are required to complete the ORPAT in 5:30 minutes or less. An ORPAT result is considered valid if the results are dated six months or less from the time of application is submitted.
- If you have a valid and current PAT test from another State, you may submit your score by attaching it to your online City application, so long as it is no more than six months old from closing date of the announcement.
The City of Salem application and NTN testing must be completed on or before Sunday, August 15, 2021. Applicants are responsible for contacting NTN and arranging for their own testing. To view Upcoming Virtual Law Enforcement Examination Dates click on the link below, act quickly as schedule(s) fill up fast. (To look for virtual testing you need to select Washington.)
Oregon's minimum standards to work as a law enforcement officer and background disqualifiers can be found in OAR 259-008-0010-0070 .
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for Police Officer or view by clicking here.
Additional incentives: The City of Salem offers 2%-10% premium pay for a combination of DPSST certification levels, training, and college education. Police Officers who have been with the City for 10 years receive a 3% longevity increase.
There is also 5% bilingual pay incentive for the following languages: Spanish, Russian, American Sign Language (Certified) or appropriate Asian dialect. Qualified bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
The Salem Police Department also extends extra duty pay ranging between 2.5 to 5% for specialized assignments. For a complete list of premium pays and other benefits, check the current collective bargaining agreement here .
How can I apply?
The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
Click on the green "Apply" button to complete your application. Make sure that you specify how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification, submit resume , and complete the application.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
EEO/Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This recruitment is open until filled. A review of submitted applications are scheduled every two weeks until the close of this recruitment.
Applicants must complete the application and submit valid tests results for NTN an ORPAT (or out-of-state PAT equivalent.
To take the NTN Frontline National Test, select the City of Salem under Law Enforcement jobs by clicking here: NTN's jobs listing .
To take ORPAT, click here: ORPAT
Finalists who successfully meet the qualifications listed above and successfully complete the selection process (video assessment and panel interviews) will, after a conditional job offer, go through an extensive background investigation, medical and psychological assessment and drug testing. City of Salem is a drug free workplace, including marijuana.
Sgt. Jeff Wiedemann
You may subscribe for automatic notification of job openings at the City through the Job Interest Cards - sign up today!
For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at www.cityofsalem.net/jobs .