Professional Tennis Instructor (Parks Activities Specialist)
Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
Portland Parks and Recreation are looking to fill their 2021 Tennis Professional Instructor positions!
The ideal candidate for the Tennis Professional Instructor would develop lesson plans & curricula based upon overall program objectives & guidelines. Instruct classes in recreation & leisure services in the area of specialty or assignment. Prepare materials for the instructor of classes; monitor participation & evaluates classes. Provide up-to-date, quality tennis assessments, and individual tennis training and high energy motivation.
Tennis Professional Instructor position responsibilities:
- Coordinate with staff to plan & schedule classes & programs;
- Communicate with staff regarding supplies, space & other needs;
- Develop a rapport with class members & respond to questions & concerns;
- Observe progress & discuss with students when appropriate;
- Set up & take down class equipment as necessary;
- Demonstrate appropriate classroom management at all times to ensure safe & effective classes;
- Provide one-on-one or small group tennis assessments and consultations as assigned;
- Design & implement individual lesson programs for private lesson clients and use motivation techniques to encourage clients;
- Promote and assist patrons with proper body alignment, equipment use and safe technique when playing;
- Promote other Portland Parks & Recreation classes and information to participants;
- Follow all Portland Parks & Recreation rules, policies & procedures;
- Maintain excellent communication with all staff & customers through verbal & written means;
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings and required trainings;
- Recognize and promptly respond to safety hazards and emergency situations;
- Other duties as assigned.
Work schedule: 1,600 hours in a calendar year
Wage increases are determined by years of service plus satisfactory annual evaluations. All new employees will start at Step 1 unless they have demonstrated education or experience that meets the following criteria. A Recreation Supervisor must approve entry wage progressions and may override requirements for step increases.
Step 1 Step 2 Step 3
Hours of Experience N/A N/A N/A
AND Level of Education See note See note See note
Year 1 $19.00 $25.00 $29.00
Year 2 $20.00 $26.00 $30.00
Year 3 $21.00 $27.00 $31.00
Year 4 $22.00 $28.00 $32.00
Year 5 $23.00 $29.00 $33.00
Step 1 - Recreational Coach with the USPTA or USPTR
Step 2 - Professional Coach Certification with the USPTA or USPTR
Step 3 - Elite Professional Coach Certification with USPTA or USPTR
Why work at the Portland Tennis Center?
The Portland Tennis Center is an 8 indoor/4 outdoor thriving public tennis facility located in the heart of Portland, Oregon. Our staff, patrons and surrounding community are not only diverse, but friendly, fun, caring and down to earth. The Portland Tennis Center is the central hub for all tennis and pickleball related activities throughout Portland, managing over 100 outdoor tennis courts in our beautiful scenic parks, which give us unlimited potential to reach thousands of people within our community for tennis and pickleball. Our vibrant Tennis Center has unique, specialized tennis programs for any level of play, both adults and juniors, with scholarship opportunities and free programs that benefit the entire community. The Portland Tennis Center aspires to meet the tennis needs of our community through professional, well trained, friendly staff and creative tennis programming for all ages. Come join the fun!
Portland Parks & Recreation values a diverse workforce and seeks a way to promote equity and inclusion within the organization. PP&R encourages candidates with knowledge, ability, and experience working with a broad range of individuals and diverse communities. Although not required, PP&R encourages candidates that can fluently speak another language to include that information in your application.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself to the City of Portland today.
This position is not benefit eligible.
The following minimum qualifications are required:
- Experience of on-court tennis instruction
- Ability to play tennis & influence on-court tennis instruction
- Ability & experience preparing & presenting lessons for appropriate programs & classes.
- Ability to recognize & respond to safety and emergency situations
- Experience of a minimum of one-year leading small groups, clinics, teams, or large group tennis instruction while displaying a positive, encouraging, and upbeat attitude at all times
- Ability to work a variety of hours, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
In addition to the above minimum qualifications, any of the following certifications are required:
- Recreational Coach Certification with the USPTA or USPTR
- Professional Coach Certification with the USPTA or USPTR
- Elite Professional Coach Certification with the USPTA or USPTR
Applicants must also possess:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
The Recruitment Process
Applicants must submit a professional résumé online, as well as answer the supplemental questions specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to each supplemental question should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications. You may want to prepare your answers offline and then cut and paste into the text box provided.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: Events | Career Center | Portland.gov
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Anna Morgan, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
Anna.Morgan@portlandoregon.govClosing Date/Time: 1/10/2022 11:59 PM Pacific