Red Hat Server Administrator (Inf Syst Tech Analyst V-Generalist)
Job Appointment: Full time, Regular
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, alternate schedule may be available.
Work Location: This position has an exception to work primarily remote. However, there will be instances when it is necessary to come onsite for work ( with advance notice) .
Benefits: Please check our benefit tab for an overview of benefit for this position
Union Representation: This position is represented by Professional Technical Employees, Local 17 (PROTEC17). To view this labor agreement, please click here.
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland's online portal. You will need to attach a cover letter and resume.
The Bureau of Technology Services (BTS) is seeking a Red Hat Server Administrator (Information Systems Technical Analyst V- Generalist) to be part of our Server and Messaging Team. This team is responsible for implementing, maintaining, and supporting a variety of mission critical servers used across the enterprise, and has a strategic focus on security, resilience, and operational excellence. This team also works closely with members of other technical teams, project managers, and internal customers. This position specializes in Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) server support with skills in system administration, troubleshooting, and security hardening.
As a Red Hat Server Administrator, you will:
- Support RHEL servers in a mission-critical production enterprise environment, operating with limited instruction or assistance: designing, implementing, securing, supporting, upgrading, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
- Provide support for RHEL 7+ VMWare virtualized systems.
- Respond to incident and request tickets, providing excellent customer service and problem-solving issues, as needed.
- Assist with RHEL technology implementation projects, identify tasks and milestones, contribute to project plans, accurately estimate timelines, and collaborate with stakeholders for duration of project.
- Write, review, and update system and procedural documentation and diagrams, and train other team members on technical subjects.
- Automate system tasks using Python and Ansible.
- Manage system backups using Commvault.
The successful candidate must pass a comprehensive police background investigation in order to have their employment retained.
Jaclyn Snyder, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge and experience with RHEL 7 and 8 operating systems, in enterprise environments supporting mission critical systems that includes designing, maintaining, and securing servers.
- Knowledge and experience in virtual server administration using VMware.
- Knowledge supporting database administrators and configuring systems for database performance.
- Knowledge in operating and supporting enterprise backup solutions.
- Experience with running technical projects: identifying tasks, estimating work effort, and engaging with stakeholders in the project.
- Ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical staff and managers, both verbally and in writing.
Applicant must also :
- Pass a comprehensive police background investigation
Although not required, you may have one or more of the following:
- Experience following change control processes, and knowledge of managing risks associated with changes.
- Experience with following security best practices for RHEL technologies.
- Experience with IT Service Management (ITSM) and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
A common way to meet the ideal qualifications include 3+ years' experience designing, installing, supporting, securing, and upgrading recent versions of RHEL operating systems, virtual servers, and hardware in a production enterprise environment.
The Recruitment Process
STEP 1: Apply online between September 4 , 2023 - September 18, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Optional Application Materials:
- Veteran documents to request for Veteran Preference (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc.)
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted. Do not attach materials not requested.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: Week of September 18, 2023
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%.
- Your resume and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: Week of September 25, 2023
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): Early/Mid- October
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates to interview
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: Early November
Step 6: Start Date: Mid-November
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change*
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
- Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes once per month. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement.Closing Date/Time: 9/18/2023 11:59 PM Pacific