Restoration Academy Intern (Community Service Aide I) **EXTENDED**
The Mayor's Office-Office of Violence Prevention is seeking two Restoration Academy Interns!The Position:
The Portland Restoration Academy is a robust six- to nine-month work experience program provided by the City of Portland for people who have been recently incarcerated. This program is administered by the Office of Violence Prevention (OVP), which is overseen by the Office of Mayor Ted Wheeler, in partnership with several community organizations and employers.
The goal of the academy is to provide recently incarcerated individuals within Multnomah County an opportunity to learn new job skills, earn paid work experience, receive on-the-job training, and wrap-around services. The mission is to provide returning citizens a chance to re-enter their communities with hope.
Program activities include work-readiness and job preparation, health and wellness skills, re-entry program services, specialized occupational skills training programs, and internships.
- This is a six- to nine-month internship focused on helping formerly incarcerated participants gain career development skills that support their transition back to the community.
- Participants will be supervised by designated staff within the Office of Violence Prevention.
- Participants will receive career counseling and support throughout the internship and create a career portfolio.
- Participants are expected to engage in professional development opportunities and be able to build new professional networks.
- In addition, participants will help guide the future of this pilot program, by providing feedback regarding their experiences within the Restoration Academy.
- Participants who have been recently incarcerated and have served felony offenses are encouraged to apply. These offenses must have been non-violent or sexual in nature.
- Participants who are currently serving or have recently completed parole or probation.
- Participants must have either a valid driver's license (preferred) or a state ID.
- Participants must be working toward or have a high school diploma or GED certification before starting the program.
- Participants must be residents of Multnomah County.
- The use of illegal substances is prohibited for participants. Drug testing is required.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Ability to apply lived experiences within the criminal justice system to help shape the future of the Restoration Academy.
- Ability to learn new skills and receive feedback on work assignments.
- Strong conflict management and interpersonal skills - Be able to work well with others and successfully collaborate as part of a team or cohort.
- Ability to work and be calm in an environment that can sometimes be stressful.
- Ability to self-direct and help develop this position for future Restoration Academy interns.
- Knowledge with computer applications regularly used in an office environment (i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Zoom).
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their work history and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be needed prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
.** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Posting: 09/18/20 - 10/02/20
Applications Reviewed: Week of 10/05/20
Eligible List: Week of 10/12/20
Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively the week of 10/19/20
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants MUST FOLLOW the process below and submit the following application materials to be considered for this position. Failure to submit the required application materials will result in elimination from further consideration:
- A COMPLETED Work Experience section (may include unpaid and/or volunteer experience)clearly reflecting your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of the announcement.
- Submit responses to the minimum qualification Supplemental Questions.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to your supplemental questions and résumé any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Loan Tran, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
Closing Date/Time: 10/16/2020 11:59 PM Pacific