Revenue & Tax Specialist IV
The Revenue Division is seeking five full-time Revenue and Tax Specialist (RTS) IV positions in the Business Income Tax and Personal Income Tax sections. The RTS IV f unctions at an advanced level with responsibility for complex customer accounts and tax returns; research; and customer account reviews. RTS IV duties include but are not limited to: Analyzing customer accounts and tax returns; identifying calculation errors and omissions; responding to written correspondence from taxpayers; answering taxpayer phone calls; and completing forms with the correct data for billings, credits/refunds, and communications.
All assignments focus on providing quality customer service to taxpayers, businesses, and tax professionals. Duties vary with business and tax cycles. This recruitment may be used fill additional RTS IV positions that become available within the next six months.
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please click here . A pplicants start at the entry salary rate . If you are a DCTU represented employee, see labor agreement for additional information or talk to your union representative
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, healthcare flexible and/or dependent care spending accounts, Carrot Fertility, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here. or more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here .
Most positions at the City of Portland are hybrid, and employees are expected to perform at least half of their work in-person. City Council approved a human resources administrative rule in January 2023, HRAR - 4.045 , requiring employees, including those who are fully remote and hybrid, to perform work within Oregon or Washington. For more information, click here .
Applicants must meet each of the following minimum qualifications. Applicants should describe in their responses to the supplemental questions and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Experience reviewing and analyzing tax returns and financial documents.
- E xperience explaining complex tax/financial concepts, requirements, and practices.
- Experience resolving internal and external customer requests while meeting service expectations.
- Experience using established guidelines to make sound, independent decisions.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions are weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting closes: 6/5/2023
- Applications Reviewed: week of 6/5/2023 and 6/12/2023
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of: 6/12/2023
- 1st Round of Interviews: week of 6/19/2023
- 2nd Round of Interviews (if needed): 6/26/2023
- Job Offer: late June/early July
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis : Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or starting in April 2023 you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.
Bureau of Human Resources
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action EmployerClosing Date/Time: 6/5/2023 11:59 PM Pacific