Safety Officer II (Risk Specialist II)
The City of Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) is seeking an experienced, professional, and dedicated individual to become our next Safety Officer II.
About the position: This position will reside in the Employee Services Division within the Safety & Training Section and reports to the Safety & Training Program Manager. Under minimal supervision, this position will provide risk, safety and loss prevention support services to Bureau Groups, Divisions, and Sections that are responsible for the construction and maintenance of our city assets, including construction crews, electricians, and field technicians; and may provide safety related services for contract work.
What you'll get to do:
- Responsible for inspecting facility and work site conditions to determine if hazards are present and work with stakeholders to establish procedures and policies to mitigate those hazardous situations.
- Research, advise, assess, and consult with Bureau personnel and stakeholders on safety, health, and loss prevention
- Provide loss control services; Review, assess, and update safety plans and written programs to ensure compliance with City, state, and federal regulations
- Review & assess incident reports
- Respond to the scene of accidents and/or injuries
- Represent the bureau at citywide loss prevention meetings and exercises
- Provide training, education and awareness for bureau employees
- Research and purchase related necessary materials and equipment; responding to inquiries; and advising bureau managers on safe work methods and practices and the elimination of environmental hazards.
- Carry out your responsibilities with initiative, independence and creativity while exercising sound professional judgment and problem-solving skills.
This position is considered essential and is required to report to work during inclement weather and other emergency events and may serve in a key role within the FEMA Incident Command System (ICS).
Who we are:
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
This position is anticipated to work onsite at maintenance operations. Guidelines of mandatory PPE will be shared upon interview/offer.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation is a community partner in shaping a livable city. We plan, build, manage and maintain an effective and safe transportation system that provides people and businesses access and mobility. We keep Portland moving. For more information about the Portland Bureau of Transportation, please visit www.portlandoregon.gov/pbot . The Portland Bureau of Transportation embraces diversity, models inclusivity, and promotes equity through its service delivery, internal operations, organizational culture, and in its work with partners and the community.
The following minimum qualifications are required
- Experience applying of federal, state, and/or local safety rules/regulations including OSHA requirements. For example: confined spaces, respiratory protection, hearing conservation, GHS (Global Harmonized System) requirements, workplace safety plans, bloodborne pathogens exposure, and lock-out tag-out procedures.
- Experience performing safety inspections, hazard identification, abatement, and control techniques.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, problem-solve, and take initiative within established guidelines.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with management, employees, co-workers and partners that encourages a work place culture that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Recruitment Process
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Timeline (These dates are tentative - notification will not be sent if this timeline changes):
- Posting: 2/15-3/1
- Applications Reviewed: 2/12-3/4
- Eligible List: 3/10
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively Mid-Late March
- Job Offer: Tentatively Mid-Late April
**Timeline is approximate and subject to change without notice**
Applicants must submit a professional résumé online and answer all required supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your answers to the supplemental questions any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- For important additional information regarding Veteran's Preference, Notification Periods, and Optional Information Sessions, please see below.
Application Deadline: All completed applications for this position must be submitted online, no later than 11:59 pm on the closing/application review date listed on this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Candidate Notifications: If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligible list, you do NOT need to reapply and will remain on the list.
Do not attach materials not requested.
Work status: Non-citizen applications must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Questions?/ Recruiter Contact Information:
Emily Mavraganis, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 3/1/2021 11:59 PM Pacific