SmartPark Administrative Specialist – Extended
About the P osition:
As a member of the Parking Operations Division this position provides program coordination for the SmartPark Program, including high-level customer service functions; administrative support; research; program/project management assistance; auditing and financial reconciliation; and other duties as assigned.
About the Team:
The Parking Operations Division manages the on-street and off-street parking environment to support the vitality and livability of the City. Parking programs are designed to produce parking behaviors that support Portland's business sector and improve the livability of Portland's residential neighborhoods. The SmartPark Program, with its five (5) employees, consists of 5 public parking garages with almost 3,700 parking spaces, 72,000 spare feet of commercial retail space, and the Portland Downtown Heliport.
The SmartPark mission is to support the economic vitality of the Central City by providing an affordable system of parking garages which primarily meets the short-term needs of shoppers, visitors, and business clients and by investing in other Central City transportation improvements.
What you 'll get to do:
Administrative Support (~45%)
- Perform moderate to difficult administrative tasks with general supervision in support of the SmartPark program. Examples include processing and preparing invoices for payment, maintaining administrative records, assisting in reporting and tracking on-going parking revenue and expense performance, performing monthly bank account and parking operations reconciliations, preparing parking garage fund transfer requests, performing various audits.
- Process film requests.
- Draft written correspondence, prepare spreadsheets and memos, and assist with research.
Program Coordination (~25%)
- Coordinate and administer the Fleet Parking Program. Examples include coordinating agreements with other agencies related to card access in SmartPark Garages; review, approve, and process access activations, de-activations, and replacement requests.
- Administering and maintaining the access card database. Examples include entering and updating database records for parking access cards, SmartPark keys, and Internal Bureau leases, developing and pulling reports, processing and preparing billing information and auditing database records.
Program/Project Assistance (~15%)
- Assist in renewing and monitoring Parking License Agreements.
- Provide program coordination assistance and backup. Examples include monitoring the performance of the SmartPark elevators; submitting work orders to OMF Facilities Dispatch, reviewing Heliport cameras and logging in helicopter flights into the Heliport database.
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
Customer Service (~10%)
- Provide a high-level of customer service to internal and external off-street parking and Heliport customers. Log, investigate and research off-street customer service complaints.
- Work with Bureau co-workers to resolve complaints.
- Respond to inquiries from other cities regarding Portland's parking system and customer service practices.
Other Duties (~5%)
Examples include attending contractor meetings such as the weekly parking management meetings; Special projects as needed and providing program/project assistance as needed; maintain public records.
An ideal Candidate will demonstrate strong administrative skills (including strong computer skills) and communications skills to advance SmartParks and PBOT goals and objectives. Accountable to our community, we are committed to sound financial management and efficient operations. Administrative coordination and oversight are critical components of that commitment.
As a person, you are:
- Collaborative: An authentic professional who has interpersonal skills, values partnerships, and develops and supports relationships to get things done.
- Curious: A curious professional who is always seeking to learn new things and grow as a person and as a professional.
- Excellent Communicator: You are a strong communicator to both technical and non-technical individuals, and proficient verbally and in writing
- Relationship Builder: An outgoing professional who values building trust, partnerships, and relationships to support an inclusive culture and accomplish objectives more effectively
- Results Driven: A person who can work effectively and efficiently in a high-paced, dynamic environment.
- Someone who values Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI): Someone who embraces anti-racist approaches through intentional partnership, self-awareness, and action, showing cultural humility, advocacy, and mindfulness. Someone who understands the importance of using DEI concepts to guide and inform your work.
- Emotionally Intelligent: A person who is motivated, passionate, team-oriented, and empathetic, and promotes the same characteristics in their Team.
- Someone who seeks balance. A person who strives for excellence and seeks balance between home and work.
- Have completed coursework in public administration, business administration, parking administration or accounting.
- Be Bilingual Spanish/English
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions- driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training, work experience and/or lived experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Ability to learn City organization, rules, policies and procedures, such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing and those specific to the Bureau and/or SmartPark.
- Experience communicating and interacting with diverse internal and external customers in a professional and courteous manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience organizing, setting priorities, and exercising sound judgement.
- Experience preparing and analyzing financial information including use of Excel spreadsheets and other applicable software programs.
- Experience maintaining flexibility, and handling shifting and competing work demands.
Although not required, you may have:
- Experience providing moderate to complex administrative duties of public parking garages or other public facilities.
- Experience applying sound, creative problem-solving techniques to resolve parking related issues and problems.
- Experience understanding, interpreting, explaining, and applying laws, regulations, ordinances and policies applicable to parking operations.
- Experience exercising tact and diplomacy in dealing with difficult and sensitive people, issues, and situations.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting closes: May 22, 2023
- Applications Reviewed: Week of May 22, 2023
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of May 29, 2023
- 1st Round of Interviews: Early June
- 2nd Round of Interviews (if needed): Mid June
- Job Offer: Late June
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit responses to the supplemental questions and a professional résumé online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your responses to the supplemental questions and résumé will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis : Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Bureau of Human Resources
Elizabeth.Brandenburg@portlandoregon.gov .Closing Date/Time: 5/22/2023 11:59 PM Pacific