Structural Engineer – Open Continuous
We are hiring a Structural Engineer in Bureau of Development Services.
About the positions: Structural Engineers perform advanced professional engineering assignments. Work is completed by using individual creativity and initiative, while also collaborating and problem solving with team members on unusual or complex projects.
Specific Vacancy Information: The Bureau of Development Services is seeking a Structural Engineers to join their team. Utilize your specialized knowledge of structural engineering to perform specialized structural plan reviews of private development and public work structures. Typical projects to review include - but are not limited to - building and non-building structures (both commercial and residential), foundations systems, retaining walls and shoring and seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings.
The Current Portfolio includes the 2 billion Dollar expansion of the Portland Airport, expansion of the Adidas headquarters, Oregon Health Sciences University hospital buildings, several high-rise hotels and mixed use buildings, residential buildings, and Portland public schools modernization projects among others.
What you'll get to do:
- Assure compliance with applicable codes and regulations and professional standards of practice, with an end goal of meeting the Bureau's Mission Statement, which is: to promote the safety, livability, and economic vitality through efficient and collaborative application of building and development codes
- Build relationships and communicate in a positive and effective way with professional engineers, design professionals, contractors and building owners as well as other review groups within the City of Portland.
- Demonstrate an understanding and ability in the areas of equity, inclusion, diversity and/or accessibility
The work of this position will be responsible for and is required by the State of Oregon to have an Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC), A level Structural Plans Examiner Certification from Oregon, and a Residential Plans Examiner Certification. BDS will assist with training. Certifications are required within 6 months of hire.
This classification is represented by the Professional and Technical Employees (PTE)To view this labor agreement, please click here.
As a person, you are (a);
- Relationship Builder: An outgoing professional who values partnerships and forms relationships to get things done.
- Communicator: A strong communicator to technical and non-technical individuals and who is proficient verbally and in writing.
- Organized: Able to work on a multitude of tasks and understand/react to various situations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Safety Conscious: A manager that incorporates public safety and staff safety as top priorities in every decision.
- Dedicated: Personally, you have a passion for public service and hold a high level of pride in making sure that projects are effectively managed, and that you are proud of the work delivered to the public.
- Detailed: An organizer and planner who thrives on details and is uncompromising in consistency and accuracy.
- Committed: Strong leader with commitment to your position as well as your team/employees.
Although not required, you may benefit by having:
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in structural engineering including structural design or plan review of buildings.
- Fluency in a second language
About the Bureau of Development Services
Our Equity Commitment:
The Bureau of Development Services is committed to eliminating racism and all discriminatory practices in our services and in our workplace because we understand the positive value of equitable systems .
Equity: Conditions that allow everyone to flourish so that race, gender, ability and/or other held identities do not determine access or outcomes.
To learn more about The Bureau of Development Services equity commitment - please review our equity commitment: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/670171
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, healthcare flexible and/or dependent care spending accounts, fertility counseling and resources, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), including contributions to the PERS IAP plan paid by employer. For more information on the City of Portland's benefits, please click here.
Many positions within the City are designated as hybrid, most hybrid employees will be expected to perform at least half of their work in-person. City Council approved a human resources administrative rule in January 2023, HRAR - 4.045, requiring employees, including those who are fully remote and hybrid, to perform work within Oregon or Washington. For more information, click here.
The City is offering an optional information meetings for this recruitment. Please see the Additional Information section below for details.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Experience in structural engineering including structural design or plan review of buildings (in private or public sector) using thestate and local building codes such as International Building Code, Oregon Structural Specialty Code, International Residential Code and the Oregon Residential code.
- Experience applying the principles and practices of earthquake engineering, including the ability to implement the seismic provisions of the building code in high seismic regions.
- Experience in review or design of seismic evaluations and retrofit of existing buildings in high seismic regions in compliance with state and local laws and regulations.
- Experience utilizing strong communication skills including the ability to communicate scientific and technical matters, both orally and in writing, to non-technical individuals, and to partner effectively with citizens and development professionals.
Applicants must also possess:
- A certification of registration as a Professional Civil Engineer is required.
- A certification of registration as a Structural Engineer (S.E.) while not required, is preferred.
- If PE is from a state other than Oregon, a candidate must be able to obtain a State of Oregon registration as a Professional Civil or Structural Engineer within 6 months of the date of hire.
- The Bureau of Development Services requires the following certifications within 6 months of hire (BDS will assist with training)
- Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC)
- A level Structural Plans Examiner Certification from Oregon
- Residential Plans Examiner Certification.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting closes: 8/28/23
- 1st Application Review: week of 6/12/2023
- Subsequent reviews will occur every two weeks until 8/28/2023 and eligible lists will be issued when we have qualifying applicants.
- 1st Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 6/19/2023
- 1st Interviews: Late June to early July
- Job Offer: July
This is an open continuous recruitment: Open Continuous recruitments have multiple review periods and can be opened for up to 3 months.
- If you apply and are notified you meet minimum qualifications/placed on the eligible list, please do not reapply . Any applications received after being placed on the eligible list will not be reviewed and will be rejected as a duplicate application.
- If you apply and are notified you do not meet qualifications and the recruitment is still open , you may reapply and update your materials.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change Application Instructions
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested . E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos and offers How to Apply Classes. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement or you are invited to attend the Question and Answers session. If you prefer to attend a virtual class, they are also available once a month.
Tami Larison, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSIONS
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Sessions that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional session below:
Wednesday, May 31, 2023 Noon-1 PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Tuesday June 6 , 2023: 5:00-6:00PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.Closing Date/Time: 8/28/2023 11:59 PM Pacific