Turf Maintenance Technician
Do you enjoy working outdoors mowing large turf areas, performing general turf maintenance tasks, and working with diverse co-workers and park users?
If so, you may be the Turf Maintenance Technician we are looking for!
About this position : Turf Maintenance Technicians for Portland Parks and Recreation (PP&R) care for and maintain turf and perform a variety of related duties including operating mowers, applying fertilizers and herbicides, performs turf renovation, and maintains a variety of equipment. This work has a specialized focus on precision mowing and turf care in landscaped settings , as distinguished from general mowing in diverse terrain, often with traffic exposure.
About the Work: Turf Maintenance Technicians are typically required to negotiate rough terrai n, lift up to 100 pounds (commonly only 50 lbs. at a time) safely , and drive equipment from site to site in traffic on City streets . They should be able to function as a highly skilled and productive team member. These positions work out-of-doors for extended periods under unfavorable weather conditions.
As a Turf Maintenance Technician you will:
- Transport your mowing equipment from park to park across the city
- Mow large turf areas on commercial equipment
- Perform turf restoration projects
- Work constructively on a diverse team
- Calculate and safely apply needed fertilizers and pesticides
- Assist work groups with landscape maintenance
Portland Parks and Recreation is seeking applications to fill multiple Turf Maintenance Technician positions currently. The eligible list established will also be used to fill future vacancies.
This position is represented by Portland City Laborers (PCL-LL483) collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840.
PP&R encourages applicants to apply who are from a group underrepresented in public land management (Black, Indigenous, people of color, Latinx, people living with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+).
As a person, you are:
- Inclusive: Someone who values and respects diversity and has a desire or experience working with and serving people from a variety of backgrounds;
- Collaborative: An outgoing professional who values partnership and develops and supports relationships to get things done;
- Solutions Oriented: Uses strong communication skills to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to create, implement, and document solutions;
- Emotionally Intelligent: Motivated, passionate, team-oriented, and empathetic.
About the Bureau:
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) is committed to the overall Citywide vision that race will have no detrimental effect on people of color, refugee and immigrant communities in accessing our parks and natural areas, or from the benefit of our services. We recognize, understand, and encourage celebration of the differences that surround us. Diversity and equity are vital to PP&R's ideals and values. The City of Portland, Oregon is a growing and diverse city of 650,000 residents, nearly 20% of whom speak languages other than English at home. PP&R values a diverse workforce and seeks ways to promote equity and inclusion within the organization and with the public. PP&R encourages applications from candidates with knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad range of individuals and communities with diverse racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Although not required, PP&R encourages candidates that can fluently speak another language to include that information in their application materials. Multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here .
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here .
The City is offering an optional information meeting for this recruitment. ?Please see the Additional Information section below for details.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge and ability to safely use and operate tools and equipment related to turf maintenance, such as ride-on commercial mowers or construction type equipment, spreaders, aerator, and tractors.
- Knowledge and experience of turf, including mowing, equipment, landscape, safe fertilizer and herbicide application.
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relationships with a diverse group of co-workers.
Applicant must also possess:
- A valid state driver license (any state) and an acceptable driving record at time of hire.
- Ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicator license within 6-months of hire. For materials and study guide click here.
- Ability to work out-of-doors for extended periods under unfavorable weather conditions.
The Recruitment Process
The recruitment process will consist of the following phases:
Phase I: Evaluation of Training, Experience and Supplemental Questions - a qualifying review of your resume and of the responses to the Supplemental Application Questions. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates passing Phase I will be invited to participate in Phase II - Work Skills Demonstration.
Phase II: 100% Work Skills Demonstration
- Applicants who successfully pass Phase I of the recruitment process will be scheduled to participate in the work skills demonstration, weighted 100%. The work skills demonstration test will cover the following: Trim Mower with obstacle course, Equipment Exercise and Driving- Mower loading.
- Invitation will be sent via email. Out-of-town candidates will be required to travel to participate in phase II.
- Phase II is tentatively scheduled for early April 2021.
- A photo ID and your NEOGOV number (noted on your email invitation) will be required for admittance to the test.
- All Health and Safety protocols must be followed.
Candidates successfully passing the supplemental questionnaire review, evaluation of training and experience (resume) and the work skills demonstration will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list to complete and/or final selection. After a conditional offer of employment, candidates may be required to undergo Physical Capacities test.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- Job Posting Closes: 3/1/2021
- Applications Reviewed: 2/22/2021 - 3/8/2021
- Invite to Work Skills Demonstration sent Week of 3/15/2021
- Work Skills Demonstration: tentatively scheduled for the week of 4/5/2021
- Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 4/26/2021
- 1st Round of Interviews: Mid-May 2021
- 2nd Round of Interviews (if needed): Late-May 2021
- Job Offer: Late May 2021
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional résumé online, as well as answer the supplemental questions specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to each supplemental question should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications. You may want to prepare your answers offline and then cut and paste into the text box provided. Failure to respond or a "No" response to the minimum qualification questions (4-17) will result in elimination from further consideration.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to your supplemental questions and résumé any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, a cover letter is NOT required for this recruitment, DO NOT attach them.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Tamara Larison, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSION
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional session below:
Monday, February 22, 2021
12:00 - 1:00 pm
Hosted On Zoom Online: https://zoom.us/j/96973107408?pwd=T2NmWTdCVXM5Snp3VlRPK1VaZWUyQT09
Meeting ID: 969 7310 7408
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aYtLj71NIClosing Date/Time: 3/1/2021 11:59 PM Pacific