Utility Program Compliance Analyst (Analyst II)
Job Appointment: Full time,Regular
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm. Alternate schedule may be available.
Work Location: Hybrid. In-person work to be conducted at the Vanport Building located at 1810 SW 5th Ave #710, Portland, OR 97201-5200.
Benefits: Please check our benefit tab for an overview of benefit for this position
Union Representation: This classification was recently recognized as represented by a new labor union, City of Portland Professional Workers (CPPW). Terms and Conditions are currently being negotiated as part of a new CPPW collective bargaining agreement.
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland's online portal. You will need to attach a cover letter and resume.
About the Position:
The Utility Program Compliance Analyst will have the opportunity to learn about the interesting and complex Utility Program, the City's new Right-of-Way (ROW) Code Project. The incumbent will work with a high degree of autonomy to manage multiple projects and oversee the day-to-day work of the Utility Program Team. This position will learn about complex federal and state legislation and policy along with who are customers are, how they file and pay fees, and how those fees are tracked in City software (SAP). This position will provide support to program staff and will assist with creating processes to implement new regulations and ensure compliance of all parties earning revenue through Portland's ROW program. This position will use creative problem-solving skills and apply various quantitative and qualitative research and analysis tools and methods.
About the Division:
The Utility Program manages and administers the City's Utility License Law. The division ensures the collection of $90 million annually, on average, in right-of-way fees to secure fair compensation for use of right-of-way by for-profit companies. Following federal laws, regulations, and the City's Utility License Law, the division also ensures companies are adhering to all non-monetary requirements to conduct business using the City's right-of-way.
Within the first year, the Utility Program Compliance Analyst will:
- Learn about the Utility Program, the City's ROW code, and back-end processes such as revenue collection, forms, and web integration.
- Assist the Utility Program Analyst with processing ROW code registrations, licenses, payments, and establishing new accounts, as needed.
- Develop a comprehensive database to maintain all information required for ROW code, for compliance tracking and classifying different revenue types by customer category.
Additional responsibilities will eventually include:
- Enforce compliance among Utility Program customers, including creating policies and processes for fee collection.
- Audit the list of Oregon Public Utilities Commission companies against ROW licensees and coordinate with non-licensees to gather required exemptions.
- Collaborate with the Utility Program Team consistently to ensure timely follow-up with customers about registration, filing, or payment issues.
- Analyze accounts for customer compliance.
- Apply continuous improvement principles in standard daily work and long-range planning.
- Impose fines and penalties, assist with collection as needed.
- Provide backup assistance with processing quarterly payments and reports, as needed.
Virtual Zoom Meet & Greet Opportunity
Come meet the hiring manager and the senior recruiter! We'll be talking about the position duties and responsibilities, day to day life in the role, review the announcement, discuss how to apply, and answer questions you may have about the position.
Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 12:00 PM
Jaclyn Snyder, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Ability to engage in problem solving, team building and effective partnerships with project teams, community members, elected officials, and key stakeholders.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn policies, procedures, compliance guidelines, regulations, and court decisions for utility programs.
- Experience managing projects, conducting program evaluations, forming recommendations, and implementing continuous improvements to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Experience preparing and delivering clear, concise, and comprehensive correspondences, reports, proposals, and recommendations to a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to maintain accurate files, records, and documentation.
- Abilityto promote an equitable workplace environment and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders of diverse backgrounds.
The Recruitment Process
STEP 1: Apply online between September 11 , 2023 - October 2, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Optional Application Materials:
- Veteran documents to request for Veteran Preference (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc.)
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted. Do not attach materials not requested.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: Week of October 2, 2023
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%.
- Your resume and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: Week of October 9, 2023
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): Mid-October
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates to interview.
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: Mid-November
Step 6: Start Date: Early December
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change*
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
- Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
Closing Date/Time: 10/2/2023 11:59 PM Pacific